MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

tent stove

Wuzworthit

So.... I have finally purchased a big comfy tent the (cabelas Alaknak 12x12) that I will be using for car camping. I would like to get a wood stove for it. Does anyone have any feedback as to what a good stove would be? I have seen the ones that cabelas recommends, I have seen the smaller ones that fold up. I would be using this mostly here in NC and not in the temps that yall get out west. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Here and other places, the Cylinder Stoves and 4 Dogs stoves get a lot of recommendations.

I have the same tent, and although I have not bought a stove yet...I am leaning more towards the ones that are wood/pellet compatible. Pellets will get you a whole nights burn without getting up, and if your coming from out of state, etc. Pellets are also a good thing to use...less gear you have to bring too. But if wood is available, then there is still that option as well. It's a little more spendy, but covers all the bases.

I researched this out over the last month or so.

Kifaru stoves have a great reputation and have been around a long time. They aren't cheap, but they aren't really expensive either. Their only real drawback is weight if you ever think you will be hauling one very far from the truck.

Seek Outside stoves get pretty good reviews too. They are a little more expensive, but they are lighter.

TiGoat has been making cylinder stoves for a while and now makes a stove they call the Wifi stove that combines the best of the cylinder stoves with the traditional stoves. Those are also fairly expensive.

EdT makes his own cylinder stoves as well. Moderately priced and seems like a good option.

LiteOutdoors is who I ended up going with. They had a moderately priced and moderately light option. I went with their XL version that is probably overkill for my 6 man tipi, but it is long enough and big enough that I won't be having to chop my wood into match sticks to fit in it.

Lots of discussions on stoves on RokSlide. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?420-Titanium-tent-stoves

Going back and reading your post, most of my stoves I listed are probably not really what you are looking for since you will be car camping with it.

I have the same tent and one of the stoves from Cabela's. I have camped in it down to below zero temps and it works great. The wood burning stoves keep it nice and dry compared to propane.

The down side, depending on wood you may need to get up every 2 to 4 hours to throw a log on. Usually my job.

If I had to do it again I would get a pellet stove to avoid getting up so much. They also make pellet attachments for the cylinder stoves. The last add on I looked at was just over $350. So you would have $600 into heat. The pellet stove also run about $600 so a horse a piece. If you are handy and can weld you could easily add the attachment and then could either burn logs or pellets.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the replies. Right now I think I will be using this on winter fishing trips to the OBX, unless I do a winter time hunting trip somewhere.

Those Colorado Cylinder Stoves or similar are really nice. you can extend the flat surface with a table on one side or both and or you can add a stainless water tub to the side for hot water although I don't recommend the side mount water jug though because the water just boils and evaporates out and keeps the inside of your tent really humid. When you want water in the morning it's gone from your nights burn.

I have had both a Cylinder stove and a Four Dog stove. I have also used both in the Cabela's 12x12 Alaknak. In my opinion...The Four Dog stove is a much better tent stove. To add to that, the three dog stove model from Four Dog Stoves is the perfect fit for a 12x12 Alaknak. Best of luck to you.

I guess I think of a stove as more for comfort than heat. I really don't care if my stove burns down over night. I like to pack it well, adjust the dampers and head to bed. There will be coals in the morning to stoke up. Burning wood while I sleep seems like a waste of wood and work to me, but thats just me. I do a lot of winter camping in MN and there just isn't a good way to keep heat all night.

I would say you should always have a sleeping bag rated to whatever weather you plan on beeing in in case the stove isn't getting it done. Wood is wet, or some other issue, at least you can sleep in comfort and still hunt. You won't have heat while you dress or eat, but its better than getting cold at night from being unprepared.

My buddy has the same tent and recently switched from a barrel stove to this.....http://www.aasurplus.com/Products/96-stove-gi-pot-belly-new.aspx

We use the same thing in a GP small and have been supper warm well below zero. If you check around you can get this for less than $100 and find them with the Army carb setup to be multi fuel (we use JP8 in the Army) as well. Pretty considering and pack like a large bucket.

Hey guys. I have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent (the one that looks like it came off of MASH) without the port for the stove pipe. Is it possible to add this?

Last year, after 9 years with a 9 foot Alaknak, I upgraded to the 12 foot size. I had been using a sheet metal stove that I got with the first tent, and a few years back switched to a cylinder stove. The sheet metal stove was very leaky - so much air came in at the seams that it was impossible to damp the stove down. If you put more than two logs in the stove, it would heat up to red hot. As a result, a fire would not last more than a couple of hours.

The cylinder stove is almost air tight - you can pack it with wood, and if you damper it all the way down, the fire will almost go out. They are heavy and expensive, but IMO are worth the money.

The four dogs are super nice. My dad heated a large garage with his for a while. I have a 3 dog model for my 12x12 spike tent, and its about perfect.

Ideal car camping stove. They are good and heavy, so hold heat for a while compared the the thinner/lighter ones out there. Don does a nice job building them, I've been to his place in rural MN to pick mine up...

everything breaks down and stores inside the firebox for easy pack up.

Maybe it is regional but around here many people use Riley stoves. They have a good burn time, are reasonably priced, and are extraordinarily durable. You will not go wrong with a Riley stove. Cylinder stoves are nice and durable but are very heavy. If that is not a concern then a cylinder stove is almost like a home wood stove in terms of its ability to hold heat and be airtight.

Maybe it is regional but around here many people use Riley stoves. They have a good burn time, are reasonably priced, and are extraordinarily durable. You will not go wrong with a Riley stove. Cylinder stoves are nice and durable but are very heavy. If that is not a concern then a cylinder stove is almost like a home wood stove in terms of its ability to hold heat and be airtight.

I had better luck with a similar structure just using a kerosun kerosene heater. Very efficient, last a long time and your not getting up stoking the fire or drinking water as your mouth is all dried up plus its very easy to maintain a stable temp. I plan on getting the same tent you have and that my plan anyway. I also plan on putting a portable A/C and venting it out the top for the summer time. A little portable generator and your all set. Of course with the portable generator electric heat also becomes and option too. Just depends on what options you are looking at.

I didn't even think about a kerosene heater. I might not even need anything this year. It's almost flip flop weather here in NC. I'm heading to charleston,sc area over my holiday break and it's going to be in the 70's go figure.

I'm not familiar with NC weather, but if you're just needing to take the edge off Mr Buddy does the job.

If you don't want a larger stove, any of the backpacking type stoves will work fine, but they aren't cheap.

Do a search on the DIY section over on rokslide. There are a bunch of ideas there on stove building. I've made 3 tent stoves from stainless hotel pans inverted and bolted together....

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back