Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What tent to buy

Thanks everyone….. just got back from MT and got tired of hiking 3 miles in and back in one day just to be in elk.

Needs:
-way to dry out if the weather is bad
-4-5 guys hunting
- able to handle some snow/rain
-have a wood stove

If there are things to consider please let me know what i am missing.
wall tent hands down, nothing more comfortable for a bunch of people, I can't even imagine the disaster of shoehorning 5 guys and a stove into a teepee, for my money I can't imagine going to the trouble of packing a camp in anything less than 5 miles, live comfortably at the truck and cruise around on foot without a heavy load, or pack far enough from the truck to make it worth the hassle...

Think i am going to be renting llamas.

We did a cabin 15 minutes from one location, but when we started splitting up it took about 1.5 hrs to drop everyone else and get to our access. Might have to rethink the our hunting ideas too.
I would take more than 1 vehicle on a hunt in that situation. 1.5 hiurs to drop guys off in barious doots and a reprat each evening would suck and becan energy and time sink to avoid.

I can't imagine going to the trouble of packing a camp in anything less than 5 miles,
Personally I tend to agree, but there are a lot of people who have trouble with three miles, especially off trail, so if it takes them half the day to do 3 miles in, it's going to make more sense for them to camp closer to where they can hunt.15 mile days aren't feasible for everyone.

Personally I tend to agree, but there are a lot of people who have trouble with three miles, especially off trail, so if it takes them half the day to do 3 miles in, it's going to make more sense for them to camp closer to where they can hunt.15 mile days aren't feasible for everyone.
I don't disagree, but usually, the people I see struggling to do longer day hunts seem to do even worse packing in, I'm generalizing but hunters, particularly those packing teepees with stoves, seem to bring the kitchen sink, and they work themselves over so much getting all the stuff a couple of miles back that they can't really hunt effectively anyway... I'm sure there are exceptions and people have the minimalist camp dialed but from what I see in the woods those people are the rare exception.

I think a couple of the larger tipis would be your best bets for your criteria. Seek outside 8 man tipis with titanium stoves. Going to cost some money but split the cost and weight amongst all of you. I see they have 12 and 16 person tipis but I’m not sure in the weight on those and if they would be packable

I don't disagree, but usually, the people I see struggling to do longer day hunts seem to do even worse packing in, I'm generalizing but hunters, particularly those packing teepees with stoves, seem to bring the kitchen sink, and they work themselves over so much getting all the stuff a couple of miles back that they can't really hunt effectively anyway... I'm sure there are exceptions and people have the minimalist camp dialed but from what I see in the woods those people are the rare exception.
Yeah comfy camps make lazy hunters and if you're already struggling sleeping in might be a problem, probably helps if there's someone cracking the whip in the group to keep everyone motivated and hunting hard. In my case my hunting partner is less mobile than me so when we hunt together and the situation is right we'll set a 3 mile camp and it works well, then we can split up and hunt as deep as we each want. I have a 2 person 2 pound tent for warm weather and we got a seek teepee for cold weather. Usually use the teepee as a base camp but we have spiked it in a couple times. Groups of 4 or more probably have more trouble staying on task if not all serious hunters.

Appreciate the comments on this thread. I do not have a problem going in 3 or 4 miles one of my brothers has torn his ACL, MCL, and I think he is going to get his meniscus repaired a second time this summer. He has a hard time climbing the mountains with those injuries. As for bringing gear in our group would go through another learning phase, but we were spartan on this trip. Lots of lunch meat and oatmeal. Total I think we had spent maybe $300 on food. The two luxuries we brought were a boot dryer and bottle water to make sure we had potable water.

Not sure if I could swing another car to come out. Might just rent the cheapest thing just so people can go to multiple access points.

Last edited:
I go back and forth on packing in a short (ish) distance. It is, however, nice to wake up where you are hunting (or very close to). I sleep about the same in a truck camp or a backpack camp, but get to sleep more in the backpack camp usually. This is especially helpful in early season when mornings come early. Later season, I like having the amenities of a truck camp.

Thanks everyone….. just got back from MT and got tired of hiking 3 miles in and back in one day just to be in elk.

Needs:
-way to dry out if the weather is bad
-4-5 guys hunting
- able to handle some snow/rain
-have a wood stove

If there are things to consider please let me know what i am missing.
I'm a fan of tipis. Fits the needs listed above.

Definitely get a wall tent, we made the switch about 4 years ago and couldn’t be happier

My experience with light weight teepee tents and stoves.

Set it up
spend hours looking for wood small enough to fit in the stove
stay up all night feeding it sticks to keep it warm
wake up tired and cold with condensation everywhere and a fire to start
Because some seem sensitive, I'll proceed with caution...

How? How do you spend hours gathering fuel? Why do you feed it sticks? Have you ever played with fire as a kid? Are you prepared? Do third pedals cause confusion?

What tent, what stove, help 'em out, help us-help you

Here is my take on the SO teepee system. I have a Cimmeron and a 8 man. For cold weather subtract 2 for the amount of people it says it can hold. Plan on packing a separate tarp for storing your gear outside of the tent. Go with the biggest stove you can. Always get the full liner system or you will have condensation. Always take a sleeping bag rated lower than the temps you are expecting.
My Cimmeron is a 2 man hot tent and max 4 no gear or extra space without stove in warm weather. I use it on solo trips and put a full cot in it and all my extra gear including a fold out table.
My 8 man is a 6 man winter tent. All gear has to be outside. My wife, german shepard and I use it as a main camp. 2 full size cots, long folding table, all the gear, 2 folding chairs, and my wife's port-a-jon, plus 2 5gal jugs of water (along with her bags of unnecessary "for me" crap). 8 man would be cramped in warm weather for 8 people but it will do it.
You could save weight on the 8 man and get the carbon pole but here is the deal. You are going to have to spilit up the 8 man between people so no point on spending extra money on the carbon pole. 1 person will draw the short straw and get the shell to pack, another person packs the liner, another the pole sections and stakes, and the last guy gets the stove.
Once camp is made up go gather wood with a group of guys that won't take long. If you're in a spot that has rocks, preferably flat rocks, make a rock pile/wall around your stove. The rocks hold heat for a long time and make your titanium quick cooling stove more efficient.

I got the 4 man Argali tent with a stove and i was very surprised hot quickly and warm it kept the tent. You will need to keep a small pile of fire wood close by to keep it going all night, small price to pay if the night warrants it.

Here is my take on the SO teepee system. I have a Cimmeron and a 8 man. For cold weather subtract 2 for the amount of people it says it can hold. Plan on packing a separate tarp for storing your gear outside of the tent. Go with the biggest stove you can. Always get the full liner system or you will have condensation. Always take a sleeping bag rated lower than the temps you are expecting.
My Cimmeron is a 2 man hot tent and max 4 no gear or extra space without stove in warm weather. I use it on solo trips and put a full cot in it and all my extra gear including a fold out table.
My 8 man is a 6 man winter tent. All gear has to be outside. My wife, german shepard and I use it as a main camp. 2 full size cots, long folding table, all the gear, 2 folding chairs, and my wife's port-a-jon, plus 2 5gal jugs of water (along with her bags of unnecessary "for me" crap). 8 man would be cramped in warm weather for 8 people but it will do it.
You could save weight on the 8 man and get the carbon pole but here is the deal. You are going to have to spilit up the 8 man between people so no point on spending extra money on the carbon pole. 1 person will draw the short straw and get the shell to pack, another person packs the liner, another the pole sections and stakes, and the last guy gets the stove.
Once camp is made up go gather wood with a group of guys that won't take long. If you're in a spot that has rocks, preferably flat rocks, make a rock pile/wall around your stove. The rocks hold heat for a long time and make your titanium quick cooling stove more efficient.
Agreed. Most tents with stove, wood, gear etc.. you're not going to fit the amount of people they say it can. I have SO redcliff and its a tight fit with 3 with gear, stove, and wood.

Check out snow trekker tents, they make some nice canvas hot tents, also, take a look at lone wolf hot tents, good product as well and the owner shows his products on YouTube

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back