Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

hunting with dog?

b0nes

I live in idaho and with my gf and dog. My gf loves hunting and wants to go, trouble is we have a year old wirehair. Would it still be considered usiing a dog if my gf had the dog on a leash 50 yards behind me and wasn't carrying a rifle?

Thanks

Why not let the dog range on a retractable leash...not going to learn from the back seat.

Probably not going to help your chances on getting a buck... But I would plaster him in blaze orange before going out. Could be helpful if you wound one.

We put her in an orange vest also and shed never leave the leash. It's mostly walking logging roads and overlooking clearest at long distances. My gf actually spots a load of deer when we go out. I'm more or less asking if it's legal or if some dipstick wardens going to give me a fat ticket just to justify his job.

Hunt with my lab some carrying a shotgun for birds and a rifle for deer. Shotgun in hand and rifle in carrier. He does great unless he see's another person or moo cows.He hates cows for some reason and doesn't like men until he gets to know them,but he listens to me when I tell him to back down. When I stop he stops and he stays mostly right beside me. Oh he also gets pissed when I miss an easy shot on a grouse. I hunt alone mostly and like the company.

Never really thought about the legal part. It is legal to use a dog now for tracking a wounded animal. My dog doesn't go after deer and elk at least so far 3yrs of hunting with me. I've even called elk in with him by my side. Well just looked in the regs. pretty vague. What if my dogs isn't pursuing big game but grouse? Then I happen to spot a buck he doesn't see or even know is there. Shoot it, head over with my dog and pack it out. Did I break the law?

Last edited:
Not sure on legality in your state, but I think there is a big difference of hunting with your dog and your dog being with you as you're hunting.

I used to take my old dog all the time. She wouldn't chase animals and would stay put when I told her to... minus cats. I recently started taking one of my new dogs along, so far so good. My other dog would be impossible to control, she has to run up and check out everything, and I havent' been able to break her of it yet. It would be a PITA even with a leash if we were to run into a moose or bear.

Anyway, I say go for it. The pup can't get get better without time and experience. I love having a dog along on a hunt...

Attachments

• small dog.JPG
    small dog.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 202
  • P1000954.jpg
    P1000954.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Copy of P1000570.jpg
    Copy of P1000570.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Copy of P1000583.jpg
    Copy of P1000583.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 200
I would call IDFG or read the regs. Probably open to interpretation a bit...Obviously don't send your dog into the quakies to push deer for you...Walking behind seems like a grey area..I'd ask instead of possibly having my day ruined.

Reading thru the Idaho regs, it is very vauge.. except this part and I would err on the side of caution.

Dogs may be used to pursue black bears or mountain lions in
either an open take season where use of dogs is allowed, or
during a dog training season open for black bear or mountain
lion. Pursuit is allowed regardless of whether a black bear
or mountain lion already has been harvested. During a dog
training season, black bears or mountain lions may be pursued
and treed, but may not be captured, killed, or possessed. Dogs
may not be used to take or pursue any other big game species.

Any dog found running at large and actively tracking, pursuing,
harassing, attacking or killing any big game animal, except
black bear and mountain lion, may be destroyed without
criminal or civil liability by the director of Fish and Game,
any peace officer, or other persons authorized to enforce Idaho
wildlife laws.

Personally I dont think it is wrong, but it would be up to the warden. I would not like a ticket/have my dog killed or hurt because I didnt call the office and actually ask.

FIsh and game emailed me back and said its all good. keep her on a leash and its fine. they quoted the law on any wildlife officer etc. being able to shoot a dog that is harrassing or attacking a big game animal. but on a leash i dont think anything would happen. Im pretty excited not having to worry about it. Im glad that the law goes along with common sense also. Im sure im not the only one in this position and it just gets more people into the outdoors. responsably of course

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back