Jobs/Move to AK ?

gremcat

I am currently a Manufacturing Ops Manager in a next gen Solar Pilot. My wife is a Plant Biologist who is thinking of getting into teaching. I have heard that AK is hurting for teachers right now. I have an opportunity in SC and am currently in a fairly decent position. My wife has said if I am looking at SC I should at least look at AK> Previously she has always said she wouldn't live anywhere cold again. What areas should I look at and what opportunities are there? I imagine not a lot of Manufacturing takes place there but maybe something in Logistics.

I'm in the same boat as far as "want to" relocate to Alaska. Hope this thread comes up with some good info. I've made a couple contacts there but not what I would rely on for job hunting.

Virtually zero manufacturing, outside of items that support the oil/gas industry.

Teaching jobs are generally in bush communities, and require a few year commitment... those jobs are open for a reason.

Construction is a solid industry, as is oil/gas. Combined they make up over half of our economy, another 1/4 or so is health care, the rest... fishing, mining, tourism, etc.

Your wife could probably get a job pretty easy working for one of the many companies who support the oil/gas industry.

Good luck on your move if that's what you decide to do.

The other option is we stay here or I take the SC position with the plan to diversify myself enough to be employable in AK. I would be more than happy on a fishing boat or cooking for a hunting lodge though:) not sure it would pay the bills but would be a great time. I really want to expose my kids to a different type of living. There is a lot of opportunity here and my friend once referred to it as the Silicon Valley of the East but I appreciate different things than a lot of people here.

The other option is we stay here or I take the SC position with the plan to diversify myself enough to be employable in AK. I would be more than happy on a fishing boat or cooking for a hunting lodge though:) not sure it would pay the bills but would be a great time. I really want to expose my kids to a different type of living. There is a lot of opportunity here and my friend once referred to it as the Silicon Valley of the East but I appreciate different things than a lot of people here.

Been interesting watching some of the many Alaska shows out these days to see what people do for a living. From Alaska state troopers, Alaska bush people, life below zero, homestead Alaska, ice road truckers, Building Alaska, etc....

Depending on your wife's education as a Plant Biologist, she may be qualified for some of the positions through the USFS as a biologist, botanist, etc. They do come open fairly regularly, though many of the "plant" jobs are forestry/timber sale related. These seem to be more common in the SE part of the state if that matters to you.

Not much to add over what Bambi already pointed out. As he said, those rural teaching positions are usually vacant for a reason. But, they can be a great experience for the right person. AK's largest school district (Anchorage) just cut a couple hundred teaching positions. Thus, there are a couple hundred teachers up here seeking employment as well.

There can be a fair number of job openings at the federal and state level for someone with a biology degree.

Whatever you decide, don't let what you see on television be your basis for making a decision. It is a long ways from reality.

Good luck.

You in the research triangle?

Been interesting watching some of the many Alaska shows out these days to see what people do for a living. From Alaska state troopers, Alaska bush people, life below zero, homestead Alaska, ice road truckers, Building Alaska, etc....

Those shows make it look adventurous but they also make it look miserable :D

My life is pretty easy here in WV. We get all 4 seasons instead of 2, short winter and long winter :D

Those shows make it look adventurous but they also make it look miserable :D

My life is pretty easy here in WV. We get all 4 seasons instead of 2, short winter and long winter :D

Probably true. Wont be long til there is nobody left in WV and it will feel more like Alaska.. Pretty amazing that state just keeps getting smaller as all the others grow.

Probably true. Wont be long til there is nobody left in WV and it will feel more like Alaska.. Pretty amazing that state just keeps getting smaller as all the others grow.

I think we have had negative population growth for the past 10 years.

I think we have had negative population growth for the past 10 years.
From my understand it's been going on since the 50's. Never paid much attention to WV until WVU joined the Big 12. Now I know all kinds of worthless info about the state. sounds like a good place to hunt and fish.

http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/hsc/briefs/eight/default.htm
Assuming that nobody either moved into or away from West Virginia from 1950 until 2000, adding the natural increase to the 1950 population would result in a total of 2,605,345 people in 2000. That, however, hasn't happened. The Mountain State's 2000 census population was 1,808,344. That means 797,001 people have actually been lost to out-migration over the past five decades (2,005,053 + 600,292 - 1,808,344 = 797,001). In other words, West Virginia has lost an average of 15,940 residents per year, 1,328 citizens per month, 307 per week, and 44 per day. Imagine two people packing up and leaving the state almost every hour of every day, and that would best describe West Virginia's migration over the years.

I am in RTP. I am used to the Berkshires/Adirondacks where it can get to -30 for a month of two and can snow in May. I spent 4 or 5 years near Lake Ontario where it could snow a foot a day for months. The closest store to our house growing up was 45 minutes and it was a gas station. If we got on the main road it took an hour and a half to get to school doing 55 the whole way. About 20-30 percent of the houses didn't have water or electricity. I am sure AK is even more extreme but the upside is that we would have access to all AK has to offer. I fell in love last year with AK and thought hard about not returning here. I just got cable recently and have only seen a couple shows. The Bush People show is ridiculous and I couldn't watch after 5 minutes. Kodiak was interesting but I only caught a few episodes. I spent summers on a farm in the Catskills about 30 minutes down a road that only went to the farm. I am used to making do and building things myself. My wife is in Microbiology so not sure how that would translate. I am pretty handy having built all the cherry cabinets in my house, ran all the plumbing, built the wet bar, did all the granite work, all the electric work, a lot of times I make my own tools, etc. Not looking to go into construction though. I could see myself on a fishing boat or working in the woods though. It would have to be the perfect storm I think for it to match up but I thought it was at least worth looking at. I have told my wife when the boys are out I am going one way or another. She wants me to look at WV too but I am not really interested there.

Do not make any decision about AK based on reality TV. Heck, I learn stuff about my home every time I watch one!

Finding AK employment outside of AK is tough. Finding employment in state is relatively simple if you're open to some different situations.
Oil/Gas/ Mining and Defense are big industries here that use a manufacturing type skill set.

I don't watch much of the tv shows and could only imagine what they would portray if they did one where I grew up. Heck one of the richest guys there uses a twine belt to hold up his holey sweatpants and has a pig pen right next to his gorgeous log cabin. He can watch the chickens and pigs from his hot tub and a lot of times we kept a gun right there in case some wild animal needed to be shot while we where relaxing in it.

Whatever you decide, don't let what you see on television be your basis for making a decision. It is a long ways from reality.

Good luck.

I was sitting here watching Railroad Alaska and it got me thinking about your comment. I always assumed most of them were fraily legitimate representations of people living in Alaska but since I have never been and don't know any better you got me wondering. Obviosuly shows like Alaska Bush People are staged and others like Coast Guard Alaska and Alaska State Troopers are obviously not but what abou these others?

Railraod Alaska
Homestead Alaska
Building Alaska
Kodiak
Life Below Zero
Deadliest Catch

I was sitting here watching Railroad Alaska and it got me thinking about your comment. I always assumed most of them were fraily legitimate representations of people living in Alaska but since I have never been and don't know any better you got me wondering. Obviosuly shows like Alaska Bush People are staged and others like Coast Guard Alaska and Alaska State Troopers are obviously not but what abou these others?

Railraod Alaska
Homestead Alaska
Building Alaska
Kodiak
Life Below Zero
Deadliest Catch

AK State Troopers and Coast Guard AK probably closer to 'reality' but the rest are far too played up for drama. Understandably so, that's what gets ratings. But can't say it's an accurate representation of 'every day Alaska.'

We will most definitely be coming up again to look around before moving. We enjoyed the Ketchikan SE AK area a lot. I am also looking at some Slope jobs. Still working through it all and I have a good position now and an interview in SC coming up so nothing is certain yet.

We're headed back up end of next May to look around at houses some more and do some fishing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back