Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nevada 062 Elk

Cammy

My wife and I made the 7 hour trip to Elko Nevada on Thursday last week to do some scouting for my upcoming Cow elk hunt. Put almost 500 miles on the truck, a few hours on the glass and more than a couple miles on boot leather in the back country looking for a spot and hoping to see elk. Saw absolutley nothing. We saw some good looking drainages that have potential but with the number of beef cattle it was hard to say what was elk and what was cow trails or bedding areas.

With it being August and all the leaves on the trees I am sure that late morning or afternoon the elk will be harder to find as they will "hide out" in the deep recesses of the timber staying cool. With a September hunt date I am hoping that leaves will drop with the temps and the elk will stay out longer in the mornings before retreating into their beds.

Being my first elk hunt, am I on the right track? Do elk congregate in drainages as the temps fall or are they more apt to stay high until snow forces them lower? Will elk avoid areas with beef cattle or are the ok with cows?

You should have no problem finding cow elk come mid september. The bulls should be rutting by then down on the lower slopes. I have seen elk out in the fields with moo cows so I don't think they avoid them.
There are a lot of elk in 062 so I think eventually you will find them.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I was begining to think nobody hunted Nevada 062. Have you ever been up by Mountain City?

Most of the elk in that area are right on the west side of the mountains bordering the private property with the Petan Ranch. We had seen a few elk in between Mountain City and the Petan Ranch, but not to many. During September you'll have the bulls bugling and that will help you locate the cows. Locals talked a lot about Pennsylvania Hill. That area is southwest of Mountain City. Talk to the locals and you'll be surprised on how much information they will tell you. Good luck!

Went there with dad back in the early 70's for the first time. There was a big banner "Welcome Hunters" on the way into town. The place was busy bars, restaurants, rv park and big buck contests. I was about 10
at the time so it was so exciting! Last went there with my son about 5 yrs ago. A lot has changed. Most of the bars and eating places are closed and empty. The rv park where we used to pay $2 for a shower is closed too. You can still get gas and eat there though. Looks kinda sad now.
Guess that shows my age because my son was about 20 at the time.
Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks Guys! I ran into a couple of locals who had plenty of info to share. Mountain city looks like a ghost town now with the post office being the only thing open it seemed.

Will be starting up around Fawn Creek coming in from the East. Will be working West from there toward the Petan Ranch. I talked with a biologist in Elko who said that the elk run on to the Petan but never really get hunted. Might have to knock on a door and ask permission if I get desperate.

If a landowner in Nevada has landowner tags do they have to let you hunt on their property if you have a valid tag for that zone? I was told that for deer they do but the guy I was talking to didn't know about elk. I can't find a reference for either anywhere.

Locals talked a lot about Pennsylvania Hill. That area is southwest of Mountain City.

Everybody talks about "the Hill" look at a map and you will see why as there are no roads to it. Only way in is horse or foot. There is some pretty steep country between the roads and the hill too.

Any idea how well marked the boundary of the Reservation is on the North end of the zone? Saw a couple of fences that may have been the line but couldn't find any markers or signs to know for sure that it was the reservation.

Can't help you with boundary markers. I don't remember if the res boundary is marked.
GPS would really be helpful.
Good luck

Guess that shows my age because my son was about 20 at the time.
QUOTE]

You must be about my age. My oldest is 30 and my youngest is 24. Thanks for the info on the boundry of the res. Bailing outa here in T-11 days! Can't wait!

I drew a cow tag for 062 been there once for a deer hunt so the area is new to me would appreciate any information on camping and possibly a area to hunt.Hunting unfamiliar area is tough access roads would appreciate any information.

Appreciate the link getting harder to draw a tag last hunt for cow elk was area 16.four years ago bagged one there in the wilderness area thanks.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back