Idaho Legislature '15

6speed

Looks like tomorrow will kick off the never-ending game of tug of war between the legislature and the sportsmen. On the calendar for tomorrow is the IDF&G rules. Changes include making some unlimited deer and elk controlled hunts first choice only, the writing including the change from 12 year olds to 10, adding black bears to the tags available for land owners, the new elk zones, and clarification on WMA hunting hours.

It could be an interesting year with more talk on landowner tags, points, and wolves always floating in.

The fee lock program is also on the list.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/11/idaho-fish-and-game-seeks-to-raise-license-tag/

I'm not sure I follow the logic behind "unlimited controlled hunts". If there are unlimited numbers of tags, why does it even need to be a controlled hunt? Why not just allow anyone to hunt it with a general / zone tag. Sex, antler and weapons restrictions are already part of the general season regulations. What am I missing?

By actually applying for the unlimited, it eliminates them from applying towards all the others...if it was general they would apply for the other controlled hunts, and just hunt that area if they don't draw...I suppose it at least finds a little balance now that a few other age brackets are applying now for the hunts, and the percentage points have dropped a little.

The unlimited controlled tags are a way to limit the hunt to only those that apply but not restrict it to a set number. It is also a way for IDF&G to get more controlled hunt application fees for units that have good population numbers. Some of the unlimited controlled tags have come as a compromise in areas where harvest numbers were exceeding objectives. The proposals were to solve the issue by either limiting the general season hunting days or doing an unlimited controlled tag. The general consensus was that people who truly wanted to hunt the unit would rather have to put in for the unlimited tag and not lose hunting days because of the opportunists who only hunted the unit because it was a general tag.

I can't post links from my phone but if you go to the Idaho Legislature web site look for calendars and agendas then click on the house resources and conservation committee.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/sessioninfo/agenda.htm

I figured out how to post links just in time. Click on agricultural affairs under the House Agendas list and then on the highlighted numbers next to Rules Govern ok ng Domestic Cervidaer. This highlights the changes made last year. If you don't like the changes contact your legislature.

Yah I wish I had figured out how to post links from my phone a long time ago.

I notice a line item on page 5 for bonus or preference points for controlled hunts? I didn't think we had preference points system in Idaho. Where are these coming from?

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but it's my understanding that Idaho law provides for a bonus/preference point draw system (hence the fees--which by the looks of it remain unchanged) if the Commission chooses to implement one. Fortunately, thus far the Commission has declined to do so. Butt if one day they decide to go ahead with one the legal framework is already there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back