Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Custom Dial System @ range

Thinking I need to spring for a TBR featureed Rangefinder. Suggestions?
I've only used the one I currently have that has that feature, a Leupold 1000i. I'm very happy with it and would suggest it. That said, since I'm spending your money ;) , I'd be looking at RF Binos with that feature. The Leica's look sweet!

That said, doing the math, it takes a very long shot, a very steep angle, or a combination of both to matter.

Thinking I need to spring for a TBR featureed Rangefinder. Suggestions?

I used the Leupold 1000i tbr, and it was okay. Just don't try to range anything over 600 and don't try to range anything over 400 yards in sown conditions.

I have seen the lieca's in use. they responds sooooo fast and don't seem to be affected by weather conditions as much.

I really like my current one, but the cost is crazy high. It does take into account all the weather and altitude conditions for you. It will range WAY farther than any person should be shooting in my opinion. It is the G7 BR2. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it. If your into long range shooting, I think its the best one out there.

NHY, what model CDS scope is that? My nephew wants the VX 2 3x9 x40.

I'm curious about that too. Also, for you guys that do have these CDS scopes, what reticle do you prefer? I've been looking into getting one of these, but it doesn't seem like Leupold has many CDS compatible scopes that allow you to have a reticle that has holdover for windage. That is something that I really like about my current Vortex scope, the Dead Hold reticle is nice and simple but has tick marks for windage. Can you get one of these CDS scopes with a similar reticle?

JDG- Most any/all new Leupold scope can be retrofitted with CDS turrets. They are a bit shy on windage only reticles, as in 0. Mil-dot or TMR would be their most common options for wanting to hold windage. If you don't mind going aftermarket, Greybull Precision has a contract with Leupold to get scopes made with a windage reticle. Though they only list the one model, in communications with them as of last year, they offered their reticle in the 2.5-8X36 VX3. IIRC these still carry the full Leupold warranty.

http://greybullprecision.com/products/product/33-precision-hunting-optic.html

I'm curious about that too. Also, for you guys that do have these CDS scopes, what reticle do you prefer? I've been looking into getting one of these, but it doesn't seem like Leupold has many CDS compatible scopes that allow you to have a reticle that has holdover for windage. That is something that I really like about my current Vortex scope, the Dead Hold reticle is nice and simple but has tick marks for windage. Can you get one of these CDS scopes with a similar reticle?

JDG, I have duplex firedot in the VX6, Duplex in two VX3 3.5x10x50's, and Duplex RE (range estimating) in a VX3 3.5x10x40...IMO, the RE feature is useless.

I like the firedot for dark targets. In my experience with mil-hashes, they are hard to see.

I personally am a big fan of the ebr-moa reticle from vortex. I am going away from the CDS type systems because of changing atmospheric conditions and altitudes. Your 400 yard mark at 90 degress and 1000 ft isn't the same at 7000 ft and 12 degress.

I personally am a big fan of the ebr-moa reticle from vortex. I am going away from the CDS type systems because of changing atmospheric conditions and altitudes. Your 400 yard mark at 90 degress and 1000 ft isn't the same at 7000 ft and 12 degress.

To some degree you are correct but in your example my rifle is only .3 of an inch different at 400 yards. It really does not make a big difference until you get 500+ yards out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back