Southwest Montana

1whohunts

I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me if there is snow in the mountains of south to southwest Montana? Thank you. We have a bunch of snow still up towards great falls.

Around Bozeman, there is a lot. Not sure what elevation you are thinking, but on north slopes, there is a lot of snow down to 5,500'. On south slopes, it is pretty much gone below 7,000'. Might be different in other areas of SW Montana.

In the Dillon area there is snow all around the valley and in an area i shed hunted last week there were drifts that were 4 feet or more and im sure more now, if this weather keeps up i think by next weekend it should be burned off below 7000t. what area are you most interested in?

This is the most snow I've seen in the Missoula area on the bear opener in the 10-12 years I've been hunting the spring season. The valley floors are burned off and getting green, but there's almost no access to anything over about 4500-5000 ft.

More of the same as the posts above. Near the country I was in yesterday, at the Tizer Basin SNOTEL it claims 36 inches at 6800 feet. That may be the case on flat ground, but there were drifts on the road at 6000 feet easily 5 feet deep.

West of Jefferson City, you may be able to stay on bare ground above 5500 feet on south facing slopes if you are lucky.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back