Caribou Gear

Tendoy Sheep

Lots of competition for little rams and ewes. And not all the sheep are dead. There's a thread here somewhere with a link to a bowsite members experience. mtmuley

I dug for a while looking for the thread(s), but couldn't find it.

The sheep hunt is a primary interest. But, I'm also curious to see if anyone has any tales of if/how the pressure effected the deer and elk.

I wish this hunt would have happened a year earlier.I would have loved to go on this but was in Alaska.So I guess the game commission has to go in and kill the rest??Anyone know what the rifle hunt was like?It was suppose to be a circus but from what I read, it didn't seem that bad;at least in bow season

I hunted this starting a few weeks after the rifle season opened. I only saw a handful of other hunters in a five day period. Fewer hunters than you would expect to see during the general deer/elk season. I hunted all day every day, glassed miles of country and did not see a single sheep. Nobody I talked to saw a sheep, either. The sheep really responded to the pressure by dispersing and becoming invisible. I had time reserved to go back, but decided to go kill an elk instead. It was a challenging hunt.

I read a brief article in one of the local papers a few weeks back. As I recall it stated that the hunt didn't accomplish what they expected, and were mulling over opening it again or going in and taking care of it themselves.

bambistew,I hope they do it again.I'll be giving it a try next year if they do

From the area biologist, Craig Fager:

Bighorn Sheep

This past year we set out to eliminate the bighorn herd in the Tendoy Mountains with an unlimited sheep hunt. This was the first step in a process to restore a healthy population to this area and is something that Montana has never tried before. Twenty-three bighorns were harvested during the hunt. At least one more likely died from archery wounding loss. At this time there about 5-10 bighorns left in the area. We have decided to undertake the removal of these sheep over the course of this winter. Hunting District 315 will be closed until the bighorns can be removed. We may be in a position to restore bighorns to the area as early as 2017, but may also have to wait until 2018 should the removal of the bighorns take more time than anticipated. The results from the samples collected from the harvested sheep will be available in the coming months and I will share them as they become available.

7 Rams, 14 Ewes, and 2 Lambs...which is about 2/3rds (give or take) of the herd.

Thanks for the info. I would say killing 2/3 of the herd was a success. And it gave some guys a chance that they may have never had to kill a sheep.

At yesterdays FWP Commission meeting, I was at the Region 3 office and Craig Fager, FWP's wildlife biologist from Dillon, dealing with the Tendoy herd was there. I took the opportunity to find out the status of the Tendoy herd. They killed 3 this last week, witnessed coughing. They are being necropsied. Pneumonia evident in one of the lungs which was really bad, Fager said that one would have died shortly due to how bad the lungs were.

I asked how many more there were to kill, he said about 3-6, that they had to wait for the winds to die down to get in with the helicopter. I asked if they had any projections on re-introduction. He said maybe next January, but all that was dependent on the assessment from FWP's vet Jennifer Ramsey, it's her call.

The thing is, if they dont deal with a buffer from the domestic sheep, any introduced bighorns will meet the same fate, be a waste of time and this pilot project.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back