Some firsts, creating a great memory.

ID_deerslayer

Well after finally making it out on a weekend to hunt elk a few weeks ago, only to find out the elk the area where not any where near their rutting phase the game plan was switched to focusing on deer. A friend of mine had access to some private land to hunt deer and he was sure there were some good shooting opportunities available. We did some research and found a pinch point where the deer were heading in the morning to bed for the day. We took some time to set up a tree stand in a bush of sorts and snuck in early the next morning. I had an A and a B tag so I was told to be ready to go for a two-fer to fill both tags in the same morning.

As the sun was rising I was slowly able to make out several deer feeding in the hay fields and very slowly working their way in my direction while feeding on the remnants of the recent bailing that had taken place on the property. I quietly shivered and waited for the deer to come closer as I had removed my jacket and left it on the ground. the owner of the property drove through right where the deer feed, to adjust the pivot and start his morning duties. This sent the three nearest deer sprinting in my direction. I had glassed them with my binos while they were still a good 150 to 200 yards away and noticed there was a good looking buck with two does. Before I knew it they were within fifty yards of of me and I was still seated in the stand afraid to attempt standing up so as not to spook them and lose a shot opportunity.

The buck had led the does all the way through the field and straight to me, the does watching his every move. All of a sudden when the buck reached 30 yards, he dropped his head and started to feed on the tall grass that surrounded the bushy tree I sat in. The does instantly did the same at 40 yards out. I shakily wiggled my way out of my seat ever so slowly trying not to lose my balance and alert the deer I was watching over them. Finally standing all the way up I drew my bow while the buck fed in front of a bush thirty yards away. I was able to calm myself enough to settle my pin on his vitals, and let an arrow fly towards my target.

The impact was a bit different than I expected and instead of a thwack, a thunk was heard. I knew I had hit him good, but how good? I watched him run around some bushes and out of sight. The does had followed him and before I knew it, the does reappeared almost circling back to me before running off for good. All the while looking over their shoulders where I had last seen the buck disappear to. I sat for about twenty minutes, shaking and trying to recover from the adrenaline rush that surged through my body. Upon climbing down from the stand I put on my jacket to warm up and track the deer I had just shot. I went to the place where the buck had stood when I shot and followed the small tracks he left in the dew covered grass. About ten yards in I found his blood trail and knew I had hit him good, but could not see where he had fallen in the field. Another ten yards, and more blood, bright, red, blood. this was a good sign for me! Finally as I crested a small mound I laid eyes on my first bow kill. My first Montana deer since moving here a year ago. My first whitetail buck. I was so excited to have found him, knowing that my shot was a successful one resulting in a harvest and not an injured animal that is never found brought much joy to me.

While he is no record setting buck I am overjoyed with this harvest and will always remember my morning of many firsts here in Montana! Thanks for reading my post and good look to all this season.

Great! That feeling is something. Thanks for sharing the story and looking forward to the pics.

Pics are ID_deerslayers

Attachments

• IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0878.JPG