Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY Deer

Art Vandeley

Pretty excited for my first WY deer hunt. Wasn't able to scout at all this summer but have been in the area antelope hunting in the past. Talked with the biologist and spent some time map scouting and think I SHOULD be able to find a deer, maybe not but we'll see. I'm excited, even if I don't find a buck worth shooting it will be a good trip. It will be refreshing having a rifle in hand after chasing a big MT muley around all of archery season with no shot opportunity, getting my butt kicked. Heading down Friday after work(hopefully leave around lunch if not too busy), staying till Sunday night. Will post updates if possible.

Sounds like you're in for a fun hunt. Looking forward to some pics! I love bow hunting the most but it is pretty fun having a rifle in hand after hunting hard with a bow without catching a break. Good Luck

Well I'm about ready to start walking, lots of hunters around town this morning but don't seem to be any in the area I'm in. Planning on about a 3 miles morning hunt that I'm really hoping doesn't have any atv trails in it, the map doesn't show any. Nice crisp morning but will be warm in a few hours.

Well I got a buck. Not big, but was happy due to the amount of hunters and atv traffic. I've never seen hunting pressure like that before, it was crazy. I will add pictures and story later when I get time. I didn't have much of a connection for updates.

Congratulations, look forward to pics! BTW, what region were you in as I will be heading out there Friday 24th to region Y for mule deer.

So Day 1 I Pass Up 5 bucks, biggest one being a decent 3 point. Could not believe the amount of people at opening light. Orange vests everywhere. Finally hiked into an area that appeared to have little atv access, and I started seeing deer. Saturday night I looked on the map and discovered an area that looked pretty rugged, and had no roads for about 2 miles. Bingo. I hiked in there at first light and was pretty disappointed with the amount of deer. Only a couple of does. Around 9:30 I glassed up this little buck. My plan was to leave at noon so it was now or never. I got within 100 yards, took a rest, and tried to decide if I wanted to haul him out. I hadn't shot a deer since 2011 and this tag was going un punched if I didn't shoot, so I thought what the heck. One shot, and he was done.

Skinned him and quartered him quick, and loaded my pack. Hauled all the meat back in one trip. It was brutal in the heat. All was worth it though and I'm glad I did it. The meat is delicious.

The End

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• Wyoming 2014 5.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 5.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 627
  • Wyoming 2014 6.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 6.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 625
  • Wyoming 20147.jpg
    Wyoming 20147.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 629