Browning BLR questions

G

Guest member 25165

I have a lightweight BLR (laminated stock, stainless finish with fiber optic sights) on layaway in 7mm-08. Never owned a lever before. I have read countless articles that disassembly of this gun is next to impossible and not recommended. What is the best way to clean this gun?

Second question. Since there is no crossbolt safety on this model and I want to use this for a deer drive gun, what is the safest way to handle or carry this model (half cocked, not cocked at all). I want to obviously have the advantage when I jump deer, but also want to be safe at the same time.

I had one for years and the gun shot great. I would not own another one for the reason that you stated. All that I ever did to clean the gun was use some spray cleaner/lube and just blast out what I could. To clean the barrel, you either have to use an Otis-type cleaning system, or clean from the barrel end.

As far as the safety goes, the gun is totally safe with the hammer down. I really did like that part. It was no problem leaving one in the chamber.

Another thing that I did not like was the long hammer fall. You really have to bear down to get the best accuracy. It takes some getting used to. I had my trigger lightened as much as possible and it was OK, but not real great. The gun was a .243 and shot as good as any bolt rifle.

I bought the gun because it is quick-handling. I used it for years in Az hunting called coyotes. It was really good in that role. It also claimed a deer and antelope or two before I got rid of it a couple years back.

I have a 308 BLR. I havent taken mine apart yet either. Ive just been using a bore snake to clean the barrel. After the hunting season I will attempt a complete take down and cleaning. I carried mine last year with the hammer down. I guess I really didnt think anything of when it came time to pull the hammer back. Its kinda like one fluid motion. Pull the hammer back on the way to the shoulder. IF you have been shooting levers, it will be a natural thing. If not, practice at home ,unloaded of course, and then hit the range and do some quick shouldering and pull the hammer back. Pretty soon it will become muscle memory. If you want extra mags, look on gunbroker. I found 2 mags for $80 when I got my rifle. Browning want $100 each and $66 at midway usa. "Pre-81" mag will not fit. If you have trouble finding mags, you could also get 243, 308 or 358 mags. The BLR is a great gun. I would like to add a couple more to the collection (243, 270 and maybe 358).

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back