Species?

James Riley

Banned
I didn't know there were different species until I read the "Grand Slam" thread. I've never hunted them and the only birds I've ever hunted were small and I just ripped the breast out. How do you get the feathers off or do you just skin them and keep the meat? What species are these (south central Colorado mountains)? They are on my place but they only come down in the winter:

120307%20019_1.jpg

Skinning a turkey should require a license revocation. So much goodness in that skin, especially with a wild bird. Most birds offer so much, that only a very few should be breasted out.

Those in CO are Merriams, here's a map of the US and the distribution of species. There are links below the map that discuss the sub-species further.

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/all_about_turkeys.html

Skinning a turkey should require a license revocation. So much goodness in that skin, especially with a wild bird. Most birds offer so much, that only a very few should be breasted out.

Those in CO are Merriams, here's a map of the US and the distribution of species. There are links below the map that discuss the sub-species further.

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/all_about_turkeys.html

Thanks jryoung. I agree the skin is good but I've only had store bought. How do you get all those feathers off? Just sit there and pull them out by hand? Or is there a trick. I've seen machines in use for Geese at some shooting clubs but I don't know about that.

I take mine to an AMASH neighbor and they pluck them for $5 and they do a great job.

Okay, I'm in. I'll get the regs and check out the seasons. I think I heard there are two. I'm not sure if they will be on my place during season but I know where they go when they are not here. (P.S. I know I could have researched this elsewhere but I figure that's what this place is for, right?). Thanks for the time.

I skinned this one last spring. IMO, if you are skinning a turkey to preserve the skin like this.....it sucks! It turned out great but I probably won't do it again. Skinned it, cleaned it up, coated with borax sandwiched between cardboard stapled to a board, let sit 6mths in the garage and whalaa! Key point to display the beard, make a slice and pull it through.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 532
The feathers, a few thousand in total, pull easiest the sooner you start plucking. Wait a few hours and is a lot more work. Is worth it to have the skin on as roast. The leg and thigh meat has a lot of things in them so they mostly end up leftover after roasting and put into the homemade turkey soup. The breast meat is fantastic. Flavorful and a bit dry as God meant for a turkey to taste before the era of injected chemicals.

Good luck on your hunts. Turkeys on public land that get pressure in the spring are tough to call in after a couple of days into the season. Private land turkeys rarely get so educated so quickly. I tend to hunt private for turkeys since is easier and I call in fewer hunters who scare the heck out of me as they approach like Elmer Fudd with finger on the dang trigger.

I just read the 2015 regs and if I'm reading them correctly, there is no season for me on my property. They aren't here in Spring or Fall Seasons anyway, but they are here during the late season. But there is no season in my unit. Oh well. I guess I could travel.

I just read the 2015 regs and if I'm reading them correctly, there is no season for me on my property. They aren't here in Spring or Fall Seasons anyway, but they are here during the late season. But there is no season in my unit. Oh well. I guess I could travel.

Caution, turkey hunting is very addictive. Lol

Plucking a turkey is a piece of cake.Gut the bird,hang it from a tree limb and start in.Folks complaining about the hassle shouldn't kill a turkey to begin with.(come on whats 20 minutes of your time).Riley,you seriously need to make an effort to become a whole lot more knowledgeable about turkeys, and any other bird for that matter.Not certain I have ever heard of someone"ripping" a breast out of a game bird.Not trying to ruffle feathers but the term clueless comes to mind in reference to this thread.

Plucking a turkey is a piece of cake.Gut the bird,hang it from a tree limb and start in.Folks complaining about the hassle shouldn't kill a turkey to begin with.(come on whats 20 minutes of your time).Riley,you seriously need to make an effort to become a whole lot more knowledgeable about turkeys, and any other bird for that matter.Not certain I have ever heard of someone"ripping" a breast out of a game bird.Not trying to ruffle feathers but the term clueless comes to mind in reference to this thread.

I take your point on turkeys. The birds I rip the breast out of were, specifically, doves and pigeons. I think I will continue to just rip the breast out on those.

I'm thinking I would just dunk it in boiling water and scald it like my mom did chickens when we lived on the farm. The feathers come right off.

I've heard I can use my elk diaphragm calls for turkey too! Not sure I can sound like a Turkey though. Of course my wife would disagree. :confused:
Yep! My pard uses the same diaphragm for turkey's, elk, and coyotes. Lots of online places to listen to the sounds they make in order to mimic them. I use both a diaphragm and a slate call. The later is very easy to learn to make noises ;) with and I've had both work.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back