Montana Archery Elk Hunt 2015

Brawler12

New member needing some advise. In September I am going with a group to Darby Montana to hang out and fish a little bit. A friend and I are the only two hunters and wanted to go a little early to do an archery elk hunt. We plan on finding an outfitter or maybe do a semi guided hunt, but wanted to know from some people that may know the area first. Should we look to hunt in that area or go into Idaho? The person's whose house we are staying in says that he typically goes to Idaho. I am just wanting some advise from veterans of the area to help me make a game plan. Any help or advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Ryan

Surrounding Darby there are two HDs, 250 (to the west) and 270 (to the east), both are permit only, but 270 is a guaranteed permit. I've hunted over the hill in the Big Hole, and Pioneer mountains which are all general units and have had success in both areas.

If you're buddy wants to share his spot in Idaho I'd say go for it, it's a bit cheaper tag and you have good intel. If not, you're in elk country where you are and I'd start doing some internet scouting. Not sure where you are coming from, but a Montana tag will allow you to come back and hunt for 6 weeks in Oct-Nov if you are unsuccessful with your bow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back