Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

My 2014 Archery Bull

The biggest bull I've ever shot was when I was wearing jeans and a white short sleeve shirt helong my buddy look for his bull. We've often talked about if the elk think we are ranchers or why it seems they let you get close wearing street clothes. Maybe they just wanted to see what my shirt said, lol.

Awesome Bull! Better story and pictures.
This is probably already up on here somewhere (sorry for any repeats) but cervid (deer family) vision is actually a highly researched topic. While most of the research is on whitetails it is still mostly applicable to the other cervids. They are all slightly different of course but close enough to gain good info. There have been some really interesting developments recently. I am not very old and I can remember being told that deer could only see black and white and shades of grey. This is not true.
The short version is that the longer the wavelength of the color (i.e. red and hunter orange) are the same to them as the middle lengths (greens etc). Very similar to a color blind human. Importantly the shorter the wavelength the better they can differentiate between colors (blue jeans stand out to them like hunter orange does to us). There is even thought that since they lack a UV filter in their eye that they can see even shorter wavelengths that go into the UV spectrum. That is where all of the "NEW! MUST HAVE! UV CONTROL!" hunting products have come from. For once the new gadget may be based in science. We shall see.
Yes I know everybody has killed animals in jeans myself included. My opinion about that is their limitation in vision that is exploited here has much more to do with focus and field of view than color. If you are careful about your movements and concealment (not necessarily the same as camouflage) then they will have a hard time seeing you. I love this kind of stuff and could go on forever so i will stop myself.
Read up on the new research in deer vision it is fascinating and I know it has made me more successful hunting. Make your own judgement on how much you need to spend on camo. Personally I stick with something that makes my outline hard to find. No matter the brand or cost.
I would suggest the same research for any species you hunt the more you know about how they function anatomically, behaviorally, and ecologically the better. EasternMT got his bull because he knew that they would likely not travel across open ground but around the edge. I got a head start by becoming a wildlife biologist and studying critters for a living but everyone can do it. From stalking these forums I know that yall probably don't need that advice but maybe someone else stalking around here will find it useful.
P.S. If you ever get the chance to attend a demonstration dissection of a deer by a veterinarian or very experienced wildlife biologist don't miss the opportunity. It will make you think about what they do and how and why they do it in a whole new way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back