Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Archery Elk

Rooster52

How many days do you allow in your fall for an archery elk hunt,especially you non residents ?
Just curious.

I take two full weeks off here at home for Elk/Deer combo archery season which counting weekends it is 16 days. At home I hunt from my house so a lot of time is wasted driving in the mornings and evenings.

I will probably take about the same amount of time to go hunt Idaho this fall, but will be in the woods for the entire duration. I have never hunted the unit before so I imagine it could take a few days to figure out where the elk are hanging out. If you haven't done it before a week in the middle of the woods seams like a long time and depending on what kind of terrain you are hunting you can be pretty exhausted after a few days of non-stop elk hunting.

Minimum 10 would be my recommendation. 14 days is preferred. As an NR, it usually goes something like this.

You are on the road for 12-28 hours. You arrive late and wake up early. You are full of piss and vinegar. You venture out in a scouting mission and are carrying your bow just in case you run into an elk. You cover tons of ground. Repeat. By day 3 your are starting to get a feel, but you @ss has been kicked from going out too hard on day 1. By day six you are actually "hunting".

If you kill something, you will have another 1.5 to 2 days shot.(If solo)

Count days on a calendar. Will your employer or spouse allow you get home a day late if you kill in the bottom of the 9th?

You still have to drive home.

When you count drive time, actual hunting days are much less.

Earlier I said 14 days. That is 14 days for actual hunting. I take 3 weeks off to allow for 4 total days of driving, and a couple more to recover at home and fondle my rack! ;)

We usually plan for 2 weeks plus weekend before and after = 16 or 17 days gone. With 2.5-3 travel both ways (with horses) that leaves 10 or 11 days to hunt.
Once we stayed extra 2 days for weather, twice took extra 2 days for meat processing.

Earlier I said 14 days. That is 14 days for actual hunting. I take 3 weeks off to allow for 4 total days of driving, and a couple more to recover at home and fondle my rack! ;)

Yea, and I can see from your avatar what rack you're fondling!!!

I'd plan at least ten days for the hunt itself unless it's an area you know well and have elk patterned pretty well from previous years. Even then the way they move around it's the minimum time I'd suggest.

Interesting that even though Im elk hunting on the other side of the world my hunt timing is similar! 24 hrs travel to the base camp (including helicopter or boat) and then 10 days hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back