Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sprng Bear, Idaho or Montana

NV_ARCH3R

About three years ago I got a sudden hankering to harvest a bear. I'm a spot and stalk hunter so probably would go after bear the same way. Thinking of a spring hunt. Question? Central Idaho or Southwestern Montana?

Idaho, you have to compete with baiters; which can create feeding patterns that aren't conducive to spot/stalk, forcing you to go further into wilderness areas to get away from it.

The positive on Idaho is that you get two bear tags for cheap.

Just curious, if you're driving that far why are you wanting to stop just short of e really high bear populations? Once you get north of about I-90 in MT and highway 12 in idaho, the bear numbers start to really go up.

Not that there aren't bears in the area you mentioned, but there's more elsewhere.

MH pretty well nailed the differences, MT is more expensive with no 2 bear areas, but you know that you aren't competing with baiters and houndsmen. There are bait free areas in Idaho, but I don't think there's any that are bait free and 2-bear reduced price units.

I know Central Idaho a bit and know some folks in SW Montana, Quick question again. I know spring hunts to check the south slopes, clear cuts, old logging roads anywhere it greens up. Is a spring hunt a morning/evening affair or are they out rousting around most anytime of day?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back