Caribou Gear Tarp

Who done it?

captaincoot

You have to give credit to someone for this. So Who's the guy or gal that you give credit for starting you in hunting or fishing or did you start it all by yourself? It's my big brother. Maybe I should blame him for all my missing to:D

My dad. If we haven't already,we will soon share our last hunt together. For most of the last 35 years we have spent crisp fall mornings convincing each other that today is the day. He doesn't walk so good anymore and he has to pee a lot. We spend a lot more time in the truck driving to a new spot than we used to. We talk more, hunt less- don't have to deal with stinky dead animals much.

Wow that sounds just like my story! Minus the bladder issues. I'm very great full I've been able to spend so much time hunting and fishing with my dad.

My best friend and his Dad got me into hunting when I was in middle school. As far as fishing is concerned, I have been fishing with my Dad since the first few years of my life.

I suppose my dad did by giving me the .22 to take in the woods behind the cabin. He didn't hunt a lot after he got married because my mom hated venison. He hunted with me more because I wanted to do it than a desire on his side. He was 74 on our last hunt which was right after I moved back to Montana. Someone told us to go to "The Notch" in the Snowcrests for the opener. We drove at 5 mph for hours on an unmaintained road. The road was so awful that we were sure that we had found the farthest spot from anywhere in Montana - surely a good spot away from all the wantabe hunters. Imagine our horror when we found 21 trucks at the end of the road! Twenty-one trucks parked end to end is longer than a football field.

We set up the same tent we had used so many times in the Bob Marshall and settled in for the night. The sleeping pad didn't cushion his body like the old days and he woke up sore and more exhausted than when he went to bed. Then he looked at me and said "Rob, this is the last f***ing time I'm ever sleeping outside!" :D. It was funny even though he wasn't smiling when he said it. But also sad to see the end of a lifetime of roughing it with him. Now he is happy enough to let me bring him some venison each year and tell the same old stories of hunting Montana with his dad and brothers in the 40s.

PS. I freely give out the location of our hunt because that place had orange behind every rock and tree overlooking any open spot. The hunting method was to wait until some frightened elk happened to run within range. If you walked far enough to escape the walk-in folks you got into the people on horses. It almost completely turned me off to Montana elk hunting!

My dad took me hunting at 11, I wasn't old enough to hunt but the experience was amazing. I hunted with him for the next two years then high school football took over then the NAVY. I lost touch with my desire to hunt until I met my wife seven years ago, she got me back into it, now its all I can think about.

Self-taught......I'm #7 of 8 kids.....5 older brothers and nobody in my family hunts.
I also started taxidermy at age 12.....started from a "How to Taxidermy" book that I bought.

My Dad as well. I started following him around in the hills when I was 5. Started out shooting slingshots, then BB guns, then .22's, then my Dad's .243.

My brother and I share the passion and still go every chance we get. Dad can't hunt the steeps anymore - but he can still hunt all day in easier country. Last big hunt he and I did was in 2012 (7 days, ended with a 330 class bull). We're planning on another hunt this year - it keeps up both motivated for staying in shape. More so for him right now - years of football abused his body.

We've changed hunting styles so we can still hunt together. Camps are getting very comfortable. We'll soon be ready for his grandkids to start sharing the joy.

Definitely my dad. He has taught me everything I know about the outdoors; trap building, bow hunting, fishing, trot-lining, plant identification and collection....the list goes on and on. He was from a family of 9 kids that lived in a small 4 room house...two bedrooms(very small) a living room, and a kitchen. He is the fourth oldest and was the main food provider-his oldest brother was crippled at a young age and couldn't hunt, and the 2 sisters stayed home to help grandma. My grandpa worked for the state forestry department in a fire tower, and worked long hours. Sometimes he was gone in the forest for weeks at a time. My grandma was a housewife and what you would now call holinistic medicine maker. She made everything from cough syrup from yellow root, to ginseng remedies and teas to poison ivy cream from peach tree leaves/other plants. I wish I would have paid more attention to her now. Dad was provided just a few shotgun or rifle shells a week and mostly relied on trapping to provide meat for the family. He built his own box traps and deadfalls. They ate everything, or darn near. Anyways, I admire my dad greatly, and he is a great outdoorsman. Sorry to be long winded.

My dad wasnt much into hunting when I was younger. After firearms safety class when I was 12 (now called "hunter education") I started small game hunting on my own with a pellet rifle my dad bought for me. Shot quite afew squirrels and rabbits. Graduated to a Marlin Model 60 when I was 14. When I was 17 I nagged the ol' man to take me on my first whitetail hunt. So in a way, I got my dad back into deer hunting which he hadn't done since 1971 when he went into the Air Force. He has gone every year since then, and I have skipped it a few years. I went duck hunting on my own and pheasant hunting on my own. Im not saying my dad did not have a hand in it. He helped me get the pellet rifle, the 22, my first high power rifle, and my first shotgun. He knew why I wanted them and was happy to help.

Dad started taking us when we were in 2nd and 3rd grade. Was the only mentor we ever had. He let us make our own mistakes and then explained where we went wrong. Didn't matter whether hunting, trapping or crawling through willows to get through a beaver pond. I think the last photo I posted of him was when he was 90 and still mentoring some of the other guys in camp on skinning. They have toasted him every year since he passed, for being such a good mentor. This year will not be any different.

My dad got me started. He doesn't hunt much but will shoot every chance he gets. I remember he came home one night from sitting in the woods during deer season. This was the first time I even heard of deer hunting, I must have been about 4. My dad said he saw a deer and my imagination went wild, I was hooked from then on.

Dad and Grandpa. Weekend Blacktail deer drives with other ranch families at a "club". Hearing the old timers talking about out of state adventures along the Vermillion river, and Jack Creek in Nevada, fired me up to broaden my horizons.

My dad for sure. He's not around any more. The last few times he went hunting i think he went just so he
could hang out with my brother and me and his two grandsons. He did manage to get some deer too.
The last time he went with us he wasn't seeing so good anymore so we drove around a lot trying to get
within rang of something he could see inhis scope. We managed to find on just behind our camp about
25 yards away, the tiniest 2 point you have everr seen, well after finding dad and his rifle the deer stood
around until dad found him in the scope probably about 10 minutes. The grin on dads face was priceless, you would have thought he just shot the new worlds record. That was the best day

I got started at the age of 18. I started on my own.No one in my family as far back as I could trace ever hunted. That's why I envy a lot of you guys who have all these great stories to tell about hunting with your dad or grandad. The good old days start with me and the stories hopefully will be told......but not till long after I'm gone.....:cool:

I was born and raised in west central Michigan on a lake, my Dad died when I was 4, so I pretty much learned how to fish and hunt on my own. living out in the country like we did, there really wasn't any other kids to play with, so I spent my time hunting and fishing.
now I am 62 and still doing it.

Kevin

My dad. Let me tag along to hunt grouse when I was 5 or 6 I suppose. When I was about 11 he left me home when he went to elk camp. I sobbed and he let me out of school the next year, and all the years after that. Even when he was paying college tuition elk season was a valid excuse to skip class -- up to a point...

A neighbor who gave me his old outdoor life & sports afield magazines planted the seed. Since my dad never had an interest in the outdoors, I read everything that Jack O'conner and Elmer put in print and when I was old enough, attempted to put theory into practice. Still learning almost 40 years later.

Back