Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

GPS hunting maps

mixedbag

Thinking of buying some of the statesame for my gps.I know they show landownership.Do they also show public access points and trails?Just wondering how detailed they are or if it's more for when your hunting more checkerboard country

They are very detailed. They will have a lot of things that surface maps do not. Some states they have been able to get more data than others, due to the public information laws in each state. For the western states, you will find roads, trails, campgrounds, trailheads, natural water sources, trick tanks, and hunting district boundaries.

Our link to their site is below.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/?acc=45c48cce2e2d7fbdea1afc51c7c6ad26&bannerid=5

If you hunt multiple states the regional maps are much cheaper than buying each state.

My understanding is that the only difference is the regional maps don't show landowner names.

I've been using the App on my phone that was with my RMEF membership and it is very detailed especially if you're in a place with cell service. I don't have it for my GPS which I created my own ownership/topo layer and I wish I just had bought the chip instead. Worth the money and I'll definitely be getting for spring bear

Is it worth buying each state Ihunt over the region ones they sell?I could buy 2 regions or spend the extra 100 for one more state chip.Just don't know the pros-cons

Been doing a lot of reading on these maps. I just picked up a GPSMAP62s and want to get something added to it. Randy I know we talked about huntingmaps, but I have been looking at the Garmin Huntview maps. The reason I like the huntview is the satellite overlay and it is $79 as compared to the $99. Also when I looked at the huntingmaps it said MT was 1:100k (is this true?) So I have 2 questions, 1) Anyone have anything to say on the huntview maps and 2) Are the huntingmaps 1:24k or 1:100 for MT thank you.

Mixed bag - this shows the differences in the regional vs individual stat maps.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/premium-vs-regional#.VJWWNsBcA

If knowing the property owners names is important to you then you need the state maps. Where I hunt I just want to know if it is private or not, it doesn't matter to me what the property owners name is. If you wanted to know who owned the land and wanted to contact them to ask for permission to hunt or something like that then you would want the individual state maps.

All the maps I've had are 24K. I have the regional map that includes Montana and it is 24K so I would bet the individual state map is as well. Their site says "up to 24K" so there map be some specific areas (like Area 51, Indian reservations, etc.) that don't have 24K detail so they can't provide it.

I used to spend the time and effort doing overlays and everything on my own but for the $200 that I spent for Northern and Southern Rockies regional maps it just wasn't worth it to keep messing with it and their product is much more polished than what I was producing.

If/When I draw Nevada I'm not sure if I will spend $100 just for that one state, but I think the regional maps are worth it to me. If I lived in one of the states and wanted to know the landowner names it might be worth it to get that individual state map but not when I'll only be hunting there once every 5 - 10 years.

npaden,doregions still show access points,trails,water sources like the state ones do??I don't think I'd need landowner names if that's the only difference

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back