My first attempt at DIY Euro-mounts....

bigdonniebrasco

The buck I shot about 10 days ago was very special to me for a multitude of reasons, so I really wanted to display him where I could see him every day. My very first buck ever, dark antlers, "trash" OLD, and huge....

I did a little research and knocked em out in about 5-6 hours. * I am VERY impatient! * :)

Whatya think?

Euro.jpgEuro1.jpgEuro2.JPGEuro3.JPG

Thank you, I was freaked out to try it on my own as prior to these two I had never harvested a buck of ANY kind, by any method.

Now to get a Mulie and an elk before I get too old and busted!

Those look really good. It's important that you don't boil the skulls. That destroys all of the suture joints in the skull and makes it much more prone to fall apart.

Looks like you bleached them too?

- I skinned and removed as much flesh as possible.
- Then "simmered" in near boiling water with oxiclean, for about 45 minutes, while skimming any fat off the surface of the water.
- Then Power-washed a LOT of the flesh off.
- Back in the simmer for about 45 more minutes, then another power wash.

- Refill pot with fresh water (4 gallons) and a gallon of 40vol developer (peroxide) bring to simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.

- Air/sun dry for 24 hours.
- Thin coat of Mop-n-glo

ALL DONE! :)

Those look really good. It's important that you don't boil the skulls. That destroys all of the suture joints in the skull and makes it much more prone to fall apart.

Would have been a head mount for me

The heads look really nice; did a helluva job!

Not sure about the boxes with flowers :p.....but hey, if that's how you get to hang the heads, by all means! :D

LOL.... when you're married, it's a give and take :)

Actually my wife requested them to be "euros" and suggested where they be hung! I'm just the hunter.

The deer is so unique. I would not have the balls to do it. Impressed. First time euro mount, and you nailed it.

Always mind the wife; makes life easier.

Your deer deserved a full mount. Too much character in that deer!

That buck looks great as a euro - but I'm partial to euros myself. I think I like the simplicity of them (and I do them myself so they are easy on the budget :p).
Nice results, and such a sophisticated wall arrangement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back