October Steel

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

I've been doing some Surf and Turf, inland NW style. Chukars in the morning and steelhead after lunch and a beer. Here are a few pics.

IMG_0076.jpgIMG_0074.jpgIMG_0056.jpgIMG_0079.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0055.jpg

Looks like a day well spent, but where are the birds? The location sure screams Chukar. I thought I would see that good looking dog of yours locked up on point.

Sweeeet! There is just no way that isn't just a ton of fun. The only thing that would dull the fun at all is those dang chukars. They can be exasperating to hunt. I've had decent luck when I can get above them and walk down to them. However if a guy is below them it is almost a futile effort to get on them. Well at least it was always that way for me anyway.

The morning fog was pretty amazing, almost surreal at times.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Sawtooth, here you go. No pictures of the dead birds, but a couple of points. Henry has REALLY come of age this year. It amazes me how efficient and solid he is.

We found PLENTY of birds yesterday, but I put forth one of my worst shooting performances that I can recall. I made some shim adjustments to the Beretta last night. My new SxS is at the gunsmith shop getting the chokes opened up. After shooting the SxS for a few weeks, then going back to the Beretta made me appreciate how well the SxS handles. It makes the Beretta feel like a 2x4.

006.jpg

007.jpg

As you can see by the green along the rimrocks, the amount of food for the birds is insane this year.

008.jpg

An old root cellar from the homestead era?

009.jpg

Sweeeet! There is just no way that isn't just a ton of fun. The only thing that would dull the fun at all is those dang chukars. They can be exasperating to hunt. I've had decent luck when I can get above them and walk down to them. However if a guy is below them it is almost a futile effort to get on them. Well at least it was always that way for me anyway.

Yes, they can be exasperating at times. Yesterday one covey was running from Henry and ran right over the ridgetop and flushed as soon as they saw me. It's hard to pass up those shots, but I don't want to instill bad habits either and let Henry think that chasing them and not holding them on point is satisfactory.

My preferred tactic is to get on the ridgetops and let Henry work the thermals coming up the coulees, then work down on the birds. If Henry points them from below, I usually try to get above him and pinch the birds between us. Sometimes, that's easier said than done when you're trying to hotfoot it up a 30 degree slope. :)

Damned iPhone and pictures. This is my best fish thus far. I caught him by swinging a gold spoon. I'm guessing him at 30-32", a very respectable fish for this river.

Steelhead turned.jpg

Awesome Pics JLS. Looks like Henry is getting it done in style. Don't you love it when the dog makes a great point, you miss, and then he looks back at you with that look on his face that says, "Dude, what the heck." I got that look on the first two chukar last time out. The old pup can put some serious pressure on his owner with that look.

The net result of altering the stock shims was rather significant. Shooting went much better today.

Ben, the sweet 16 should be back in action late next week I hope. Surf and turf is scheduled for Friday.

The net result of altering the stock shims was rather significant. Shooting went much better today.

Ben, the sweet 16 should be back in action late next week I hope. Surf and turf is scheduled for Friday.

I missed that part. Glad to see you appreciating that fine Teutonic steel :)

I guess it's now November steel, but it's certainly October weather.

IMG_0098.jpg

We didn't find nearly as many birds today, and the shot setups were very poor. As I was approaching the last covey Henry pointed I fell on my ass several times. It was insanely steep.

IMG_0100.jpg

With Henry crashed in the truck, I hit the water. It was a pretty good day. I had three hookups and landed one.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Right at dusk I walked down to a hole I did well in last February. In the span of ten minutes I missed a solid hit and had a really nice fish throw the hook while tail walking. It's great water, but in order to swing a spoon through the good stuff I have to cast WAY out there. With that much mono out and a slight belly in the line I just couldn't get good hook sets.

Moonlight on the water.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 282
Back