Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Ted Karasote

dgever

Hi Randy,

I heard you mention on a recent podcast that you and Ted Karasote were friends, I think it would be great if you could arrange it to have him on as a guest. I live in Brooklyn NY and grew up in a non hunting family. Ted's book "Merle's Door" was my introduction to hunting 6 years ago. I had always enjoyed backpacking and had an interest in where my food came from. Before "Merle's Door" my opinion of hunting was probably neutral at the time while my opinion of hunters was low. Soon after that "The Wild Within" came on TV and I realized that Ted wasn't an anomaly, there were other thoughtful hunters in the world. Its been a long road, but I am currently in my second season bowhunting for whitetails, and have become involved with the NY chapter of BHA this summer. Through it all people like you and Steven Rinella have stoked my desire to keep at it, but Ted was the initial catalyst.

For those of you who haven't read it "Merle's door" is the story of Ted's dog Merle and the amazing life they led together. Hunting for upland birds and elk was part of that life and Ted was not afraid to share it with a new audience. As a national best seller I would be interested to hear what if any reaction Ted got from the non hunting public.

He has also written other books focusing on his relationship with wildlife, wild lands, and hunting that I highly recommend.

Anyway Randy and the whole Hunt Talk community keep being the positive representatives that hunting needs and fighting for our wildlife and public lands.

David

Just saw this post. Ted sent me an email while I was in New Mexico, asking if I had time to flush some pheasants or take a limit of mallards this season. Before the show, we always did a three or four day duck hunt each season. I told him I would try to make some time in December when those orange-legged mallards are in flight.

Ted is a think of the highest degree. He has the talent to make you think without even knowing he is pushing the buttons that cause you to think of your motives for what you are doing. I would say that Ted was one of my mentors during our time together serving on a board of directors together.

I agree with your comments about Merle's door. It was on the NY Times best seller for months. You can buy it at the link below.

His new book, Pukka's Promise, takes some serious risks if you think about who his audience is. Most of his readers are urban pet owners who have a high interest in animal welfare. In Chapter 6 (?) of Pukka's Promise, Ted updates his research from Bloodties and does the most remarkable job I have ever read to explain how/why hunting for your own meal is the most planet-friendly manner of obtaining high-grade protein. He knew a large portion of his readers would question his research (something Ted excels at) and his conclusions from that research. Remarkably, not many criticisms were provided from the readership. Given how many people follow Ted and his writing, I suspect that chapter of Pukka's Promise was super effective in making the case that it is not only natural, but helpful, to hunt for our own food. I would suggest any person wanting a compelling discussion about the hunting-food debate would be well served to read that chapter.

If Ted and I can get together for a hunt, he has promised he would gladly put the headphones on and do a podcast. An hour of Ted talking about dogs would be very insightful, even if we didn't speak a word about hunting.

I would strongly suggest Ted's books to any hunter.

I've spent a lot of time talk to Ted about his books focused on hunting and landscapes. His intensive research has provided him a wealth of knowledge of the history and a keen observer to many patterns that seem to repeat. Our discussions have made a big impact on my view of hunting and conservation.

I struggle to think of a guy who is more thoughtful and articulate for the cause of hunting and landscape conservation. Thanks for the post and the reminder it serves. I need to find a way to get with him in December and make sure the podcast mics are rolling.

Git R' Done Randy! I'm looking forward to it! :) Thanks for the book listing too. After huinting season, I need new reading material.

Best of luck also on your upcoming hunts.....

I'd love to hear a podcast with Ted. I've got Bloodties sitting on my bookshelf now, which I plan on cracking open on a slow day during deer season. And I don't know how in the world I missed his two dog books. They sound like they'd be right in my wheelhouse. Thanks for the heads up on the books fellas.

Back