Caribou Gear

Tent Sleeping Bag

Depends a lot on your elevation but I typically run a MSR Hubba Hubba with just the poles and the fly for my tent, and then my 15 degree bag. September in the high country can be a bit weird for weather so I like to be on the safe side. You could certainly be fine with a tarp of some time and a 32 degree bag. That said I was up last weekend at about 12,000 and it got down to 20 degrees at night with a howling wind my tent fly was covered with a nice rime of ice in the morning... by noon it was 70 degrees.

Depends a lot on your elevation but I typically run a MSR Hubba Hubba with just the poles and the fly for my tent, and then my 15 degree bag. September in the high country can be a bit weird for weather so I like to be on the safe side. You could certainly be fine with a tarp of some time and a 32 degree bag. That said I was up last weekend at about 12,000 and it got down to 20 degrees at night with a howling wind my tent fly was covered with a nice rime of ice in the morning... by noon it was 70 degrees.

Thanks, that is definitely a drastic change. I would rather be on the safe side as well. I would be between 8-12000 feet

I think minimum you want something to keep rain, snow, and dew off you while you sleep, be it tent, tarp, or fly. Then a good sleeping bag. If you skimp on the covering then get a synthetic bag so it will keep your warm if it gets wet. A 20 synthetic bag is a good place to start, if you haven't done a ton of backcountry hunting I would recommend getting a tent. MSR, Big Agnes, ect. all have good options.

I'm running a Big Agnes copper spur 2 for my tent and a North Face Cats meow #20 for my bag.........I'm still not there yet on the floorless shelters, but starting to look for a way to be convinced. I think another question you need to ask is do you want down or synthetic for your bag. Down is lighter and more packable, but once it's wet it's basically useless where synthetic will still keep you warm.

Also in terms of weight I run a tent, pad, sleeping bag and for 5 days I can keep my gear weight to under 45lbs. bit more if I bring a spotter. My brother in law runs a bivy bag, super light pad, and 32 degree bag and he is only shaving 3-4 pounds in weight from my set up mostly his backpack just doesn't look quite as stuffed full as mine.

Lots of options out there for tents/bags.

Are you backpacking?

I think I have about 5 different bags now, but find the 15-25deg bag the most go-to for fall hunting. Also look into a liner, sometimes the added weight vs increase in temp rating (5-7deg) is worth it. As a bonus you can wash the liner and it keeps your bag a bit cleaner.

A lot of companies offer "dry" down or some sort of treated product. Also Nixwax also offers a wash in formula for down that seems to work. I washed one of my down bags with it and have no complaints.

I've used down for a long time and will continue to do so. Be smart about it and use dry bags.

I bought a 20deg Down bag from REI (Igneo) this spring, so far I really like it.

For tents I have a few, but usually use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 or GoLite SL2.

Get as big and light of a tent as you can. A "three person" tent is usually just right for 2 guys.

Good luck on your hunt!

Holy crap I hope you're not backpacking with that thing it's heavier than my rifle. I can't imagine packing in a bag heavier than 2-3 pounds.

Well if you consider long walks in the desert with and alicepack and an M-4 strapped to your butt backpacking then yes (even then most of the time we had transport in and out of areas). No I don't backpack anymore. I camp a lot on the eastern side of the country where we have a basecamp that we drive too then go out from there. Quite frankly having carried everything on my back more miles then I ever plan to again in the military. I am very impressed with you western guys and your hunting from what you can carry. Not my thing anymore.

Well if you consider long walks in the desert with and alicepack and an M-4 strapped to your butt backpacking then yes (even then most of the time we had transport in and out of areas). No I don't backpack anymore. I camp a lot on the eastern side of the country where we have a basecamp that we drive too then go out from there. Quite frankly having carried everything on my back more miles then I ever plan to again in the military. I am very impressed with you western guys and your hunting from what you can carry. Not my thing anymore.

I can't even believe how much heavy gear you guys in the the military carry(ied) around, I bet if you came out west you would make me look like a 10 year old girl with your pack weight. Hats off to you and thank you for your service.

It's a perishable skill, trust me. Lol.
You sir are very correct. I'm still in pretty decent shape, but my back is not. Side note for any others dealing with back pain. Yoga seriously helps me. Might sounds funny, but I started doing yoga 3 times a week for an hour in January and have had less back pain this year and it seems to be improving as I continue. I am looking forward to this hunting season more then ever because my back feels so much better.

Thanks for your service Tufrthnails.

Glad the yoga helps, but please tell us you skip the pants.

Weight training and stretching helps mine a lot.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back