Archery GMU 53 Wilderness Backpacking Elk Hunt

cowboy18

I'm schedule (Sept 15/16 - Sept 28 - next month) to get out from behind this ol' desk and head up to God's Country to start packing in on foot (no horses this time) into West Elk Wilderness for a Solo Archery Any-Elk hunt. Was interested if anyone else had the same plans and would be willing to meet up in Crawford and join me. Hiking is always better with two - kind of like having a workout partner to push each other over those passes plus it's just good to have some company.
It's been ~20 yrs since I've been back there and can't wait, but I haven't forgotten how difficult it is and I assume there's a number of outfitters now that Elk hunting has become the thing to do (- but I hope I still have my honey holes.). Has anyone been there recently and may have some advice? Also anyone living in the area, how's the weather been lately back there - is it looking like snow will come in early this year?

Its been getting some rain lately... There are some outfitters- depends on where you're hunting. Be careful because there are a TON of bear tags in that area (so, lots of bear hunters!).

Hey Cowboy, I successfully hunted that unit last archery season and I would be happy to share what I know. PM me tomorrow and I'll share what I've got.

If I were hunting Colorado this year, it would be then and there. Head of Sink Creek, Lunch Creek, and Upper Lone Pine trails are where I'd focus my high-elevation hunting at. Second Creek (across the road from Smith Fork Ranch) is where I'd hunt for lower elevation hunt. Should be a few hunters/outfitters in the area. We were there two seasons ago and there were lots of folks during muzzleloader season. I'll be tagging along with friends hunting there for the first rifle season this year.

I'd would like to thank ya'll for the information. I am definitely preparing to keep the bears away. I'm excited for it's been so long since I've been back in there, just wish I could share it with my kids - maybe next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back