idaho 52 a late muzz deer

dan.kirkpatrick

didn't think I would actually draw ,but I did,,have only driven by this unit.If anybody out there has any info or tips on this hunt or what to expect please let me know.hunt will be nov 10th-24th so the rut or migration should be kicking in by then.ive heard there can be some nice ones there.fairly open country.I got my maps and chip ordered.

ive looked it over on google and it looks like almost all open sage and lava rock.do ya think bucks will bounce around the lava rock hidey holes,or stay out in the open when they are in winter mode?

I don't know it well (only driven past it) but I think it is largely a migration hunt along with a decent resident herd on Craters of the Moon that are off limits. I hunted some similar country in another part of the state, it was amazing how broken a seemingly flat desert really was, how the deer knew to use the small little draws, and just how much they really were moving when the rut and migration kicked in.

only a portion of the craters of the moon is off limits,,,alot of the preserve area is open to hunt,,i got a map of that ,,,just not sure where to start?i think if some weather comes in ,that should get the deer to migrate into 52a,,,there are some crop circles for feed,,maybe I can catch them jumping off of that and bedding out in the blm lands,,,the bucks should be following the does by then,,,just unsure if I should start off in the lava beds,,or the edges of the crop circles?

Ive hunted it, but only during the general season. Its really flat out there, pancake flat. But it will be some of the toughest walking you will ever do because of the lava rock all over the place, at least it was where I was hunting. Take a cheap pair of boots that you don't mind tearing up, because the lava will eat your boots in only a couple days. The highest glassing point in the unit will be the top of your truck. You will cover a lot more country with your truck or ATV than walking, but Ide hike into depressions that you cant see from a road. The unit has low deer densities at almost all times of the year with a little influx when some migrate in. But I cant say its some great migration. I don't hunt the unit anymore because there are better general units out there, by a LONG shot. But I think you have a good tag because of the dates. I'm no guru on the unit but Pm me and ill help you out with what I know.

My buddy an I drew this tag as well. I've heard good things about it. We are planning on doing a few scouting trips and have spent some money on nice spotting scopes. I am a little worried about a muzzleloader in the moisture, but it should be fun. Let me know what you see out there and I'll be happy to share my info as well!

im not gonna be able to scout it till I get there,,but maybe we could meet up somewhere there,,,could be nice to meet up with a fellow hunt talker

Tough hunt with few deer when I hunted it. The country is crazy flat and super hard to get around. Don't fall in crevasse! Seriously be careful out in the lava fields. I was really disappointed with the hunt myself. I like to have an advantage point to glass from and that place doesn't offer much. Biologist will tell you to look for the migration, but I didn't see a single deer moving across into that unit. Good luck and lift your truck super tall before you head out for glassing advantage ;)

I think the roof of my toyhauler will be the highest point in the unit from what I hear.ive been told it can really blow out there too,,,looks like wind chill factor might be pretty extreme by nov 24th,depending.

I hunted it in short-sleeves in November a few years ago. I have also been stuck and had to chain up all four tires just to get through snow drifts. It is crazy country and you'll want multiple spare tires. I have seen the best bucks on the northwest side of the unit along the hay fields. If you get fresh snow and walk the public edges of the hay fields, you can cut tracks of big bucks heading back into the sage to bed for the day. Very few deer, but there are a few big ones in there. Good luck and have fun.

PS. If the snow hits up high and you get migration off Bennett Hills, it will really help the hunt. It also is flat like Wyoming is flat. It looks flat from afar, but there is a surprising amount of elevation change once you get into it.

Thanks for the info everyone. Yeah, it would be nice to meet up out there. I'll more than likely be there opening weekend depending on weather

How did your hunt go? Its been awhile but I am curious if you or anyone has updated info on this unit?
The year I went was pretty dry, saw more elk than deer. Saw a few smaller bucks, but never took a shot. A small 2 point was the biggest. Find a tall hill and glass all day. They move through the draws that are filled with sage brush. They will bed down out there and you'll never see them unless they are up and moving. Good luck on your hunt. I know some big deer have come out of there.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back