Hammock Camping

Wild Bill

Just wondering if anyone else in here camps with a hammock. I've done it a handful of times, mostly during the summer and early fall. A huge positive for me that its nice and compact. My hammock stuffs into a sack that takes up about the same space as a snack size bag of chips (and weighs the same), and your basic 9'x12' blue tarp rolls up into about the size of a loaf of bread and makes a perfect fly/wind block. A couple straps to hang it all and your set.

Anybody else using ultra-light camp set up that's similar?

There is a Hennessy hammock pulled up tight under that fly. Got a little more weather than I thought on night elk hunting in NM

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 908
I occasionally use an AMOK (Norwegian company) when/where pitching a tent is difficult. It does work extremely well when set up properly. With the proper air mattress (long length wise air baffles) I have no problem laying on my side.

I'm interested to learn more about this. I have a friend who swears by them on his long canoe treks in Canada where the ground is very rocky. I also noticed that people use them a lot in Louisiana where the ground is swampy. But I have not tried personally.

I will be trying it on my next trip into the Beartooth/Absarokee Wilderness. I was going to camp out overnight on Friday, but my son just wanted to hike on out and head home. I've watched a few YouTube videos on hammock camping and it looks like it should work pretty good. After my trip up to Timberline Lake on Friday, I don't think it would have been too easy to set up a tent within the legal guidelines. Too many rocks.

Last edited:
The key is a warmer bag than usual and a really good sleep mat. The big Agnes system is the best because the pad slides into the bag so you don't slide off. Getting the pad back under you in a hammock is not easy

One big think with hammocks is having something under you to protect from wind stealing your heat. With just a sleeping bag your weight will compress it below you and it will not provide any insulation.

You can use a pad but depending on the hammock they can be tricky. The best option is what they call an underquilt. It is basically a small section of insulation that hangs below the hammock to protect you from the wind.

https://yukon-outfitters.com/products/freedom-hammock-ultralight?variant=1201008821

I use this Yukon hammock. It's light (under a pound) and durable. This model packs about the size of a nalgene and is camouflaged. I often carry it in my daypack to take a nap during the day. I can set it up in a minute or two and have a comfortable seat to lounge for lunch. Packing it up takes just another couple minutes and you're back in the hunt. I've slept surprisingly well in it during fair weather. The problem would come during inclement weather. You could put a tarp over it but you will get wet in windy conditions.

By the time you factor in the weight of a dedicated tarp and some means to shelter your gear, you'd be better off in a ultralight tent. But under clear skies, it's the way to go.

I am a full on hammock nerd. My first experience with them was about 2 years ago and I immediately saw the possibilities with ultralight backcountry hunting. It has taken a bit to get my setup dialed in, but now it is sweet. My hammock, tarp, and insulation is about 3 lbs, maybe 4 total. You don't need flat ground, just trees, and it is infinitely more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Your hammock options are way better going with cottage vendors rather than anything you see sold in stores. Hit me up if you want to learn any more.

Tested my eno out at the lake a few weeks ago. Slept pretty good. Can't wait to try it this year in CO on my elk hunt.

I've done it several times in the Boundary Water Canoe Area. There is some experimenting to get the right setup. I use an ENO double nest. Try to lay diagonally in the hammock to help get your sleeping spot flat. ENO makes a bugnet. Its pretty slick.

I've been curious about this.

What are the experiences of other people with bad backs?

I do not have a "bad back' but with the AMOK you can lay on your back, stomach or side when using the proper mattress.

You don't sleep in a hammock in the same way you would relax. Don't lay in the line between your two tie-outs. Lay down in a 10oclock to 4oclock angle and the hammock will stretch flat. It takes a little practice, but it is very comfortable. A sleeping pad helps keep the flat shape.

I have an old string hammock, and while it's comfy for a short time, I think it would be hard to sleep all night in it. (my opinion). The set ups look neat for a fast, lightweight way to go, however I'd also want to be able to deal with insects. By the time you got a bug net incorporated into your set up, I think I'd just as soon get a small tent.

I am planning on borrowing my daughter's ENO hammock for Colorado muzzleloader season. Usually, September is still pretty warm and dry. My thought was to string the hammock with another a line of par accord above and then throw a tarp over the whole thing to make a shelter. Then I could get in my 20 degree sleeping bag and keep warm and comfy. My hope is that I can reduce my pack weight and sleep more comfortably than on the ground.

In the past, I've carried a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc. I have all my gear weighed and I keep a spreadsheet. This hammock should work out to about a 7 pound savings by removing the tent and sleeping pad. That's a pretty significant reduction to a 45 lb pack.

I need to try it out for some weekend scouting.

I am planning on borrowing my daughter's ENO hammock for Colorado muzzleloader season. Usually, September is still pretty warm and dry. My thought was to string the hammock with another a line of par accord above and then throw a tarp over the whole thing to make a shelter. Then I could get in my 20 degree sleeping bag and keep warm and comfy. My hope is that I can reduce my pack weight and sleep more comfortably than on the ground.

In the past, I've carried a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc. I have all my gear weighed and I keep a spreadsheet. This hammock should work out to about a 7 pound savings by removing the tent and sleeping pad. That's a pretty significant reduction to a 45 lb pack.

I need to try it out for some weekend scouting.
I would advise something other than paracord. I have found that it stretches. You can either buy some nice hammock specific straps or as I do sometimes, just use a ratchet strap if I need.

Resized_20160723_074957.jpg

My hammock set up from a recent trip in the Uintas. The whole thing, hammock, suspension, tarp, and insulation is maybe pushing 5 pounds. Much better than sleeping on the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back