game meat recipes?

duckhunt

What are you doing with your game meat?I saw this thread on another site so I thought why not see what hunt talkers are doing with their wild game.

One thing I like to do is premade deer burgers. I take about 10 lbs of ground deer and mix in some steak seasoning. Then I divide it up into 3 separate piles because thats how many racks I have in my smoker. Form a loaf about 2 inches thick out of each pile. Then I put them in my smoker at about 240 degrees with hickory chips. Smoke for about 30 minutes.

After that I pull them out and finish in the oven until cooked all the way through. I finish in the oven so it doesn't get to strong smoke flavor. When they are done pull them out and let em cool.

When cool I cut them into sections about the size of a hamburger bun. Then I wrap up 4 patties per package in freezer paper. Then freeze. When you want easy burgers just unthaw and warm up.

I always make a good amount of cubed meat since my family likes chicken fried steaks. I make several different sausages. I cut the shanks into assa bucco. I do stews and soups and pretty much anything you can do with regular meat. Goose breast jambalya is amazing! Plus we like the hearts and livers as well. I butcher all of my own meat, plus get a couple of hogs a year from a friend as well as sheep. So, my burger is mixed with everything that's been killed that year and everyone that's tried it has loved it.

Last edited:
The hot pan sear of any tender cut with a nice follow up pan sauce is underrated.

A finely chopped shallot, some fresh herbs, maybe a spash of wine or brandy and some butter or cream to thicken. Pour over medium rare meat with a side of veggies and maybe some wild rice. Could be served in a five star restaurant and is easily prepared.

Back