Cutting Line

HalfAce

Most everyone here has drawn tags with the required number of points, but who here has “cut the line” and drawn tags with minimal points? What did you draw?

I’ve only drawn one tag in my life like this. It was an Idaho early rifle Mule Deer tag that’s about a 1 in 7 draw, so not really that hard to draw, but I got it my first try. :D That's all ive drawn ahead of my actual "turn".

Anyone else cut the line on some good tags? Who's the luckiest tag drawin' SOB here?

Montana HD210 (Rock Creek) moose. At 14 years old, first time ever applying for any special permit.
Haven't drawn a damned thing since either.

I had drawn a late December Coues tag in the preference point pass as a non-resident. That was expected however that reset my deer preference points to two since I have loyalty and hunter's ed points. No way I could get any of the late December Coues tags in the preference pass for about 4 more years. Is rare for a non-resident tag to fall into the random pass for a December Coues tag so I was ready to wait. Yet, I pulled one of the non-resident tags which somehow fell into the random pass. Odds most likely were no better than 6 in 1121 in the random pass.

I drew Wyoming elk in the random draw 3 in 157 odds I believe and then drew Nevada elk with 4 points.

Never drawn much myself. Got friends who consistently draw tags on low points. The best was the wife drew Missouri Breaks Ram tag with 0 points. That said they've also drawn a moose tag on 0 as well and a goat tag with low points. Between them they've drawn 3 moose tags, goat tag, and breaks ram.

I drew a Nevada Mule Deer 194-196 tag in 2013 with only 3 pts. It has 1in34 odds and people wait 10-15 yrs for the opportunity to hunt during the rut in the Reno/Carson City area. I also drew a Nevada bull elk muzzy tag that same year with 8 pts. Area 072 during the rut. ,Might not be 0 pts but to me I was the luckiest guy on the planet. That was the only yr that I've ever drawn 2 tags.

I have a few times. Applied only once for alaska musk ox and drew. Drew arizona desert sheep with 11 points. Drew one breaks elk rifle tag with one point after drawing with max points. Drew back to back arizona bull elk rifle tags. Probably drew a montana moose permit before I should have. Drew montana mountain goat right at 18 years of applying, which was about the average draw odds. I like to complain about draws, but really have no right to.

I drew a CO mountain goat tag (as a resident) with only 1 weighted point. That's where the luck ended, though. Injured myself in a fall while on my first day of hunting and that was that. That was 2011 and it still stings.

19a north Arizona antelope muzzle loader with 0 points in 97. Arizona 13a rifle mule deer with 7 points in 2005. Wyoming area 57 antelope 2 years in a row with 0 points. Before preference points.

As funny as it sounds I felt like I hit the jack pot when I got my Wyoming elk tag the first year I applied.

My pard in Idaho drew all of the Once in a Lifetime tags available in ID over a span of 7 or 8 years. That's two sheep, a mtn, goat, and a bull moose tag in less than a decade!

I've beat some long odds for mule deer and elk in ID. Made even more surprising by doing it in the same year! I drew a long odds elk tag in WY last year, but had max points.

I wish I had the luck that some of you guys have. I can't even seem to draw tags when I have enough points.

Not me! I've had to grind it out for everything. Took me two years for a MT moose tag, seven years for a MT Mtn goat tag and my wife had to apply two years in a row for her MT bighorn sheep tag. But.... it took me four years to draw an easy turkey tag, four years for a cougar tag, never have drawn a limited deer or elk tag unless you count the Breaks cow tag that I mistakenly burned five points on thinking it was a bull tag. I've had it rough I tell ya! :) Hoping this will be the year for some luck in my family. Pretty sure the influence of Olivia's lucky hat is going to pay off for one of us this fall.

Back