Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Large breeder for my ego satisfaction

The Hedgehog

It's never a bad day to kill a big bear.

Attachments

• 2016 black bear.JPG
    2016 black bear.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1,234
I wondered how long it would be before those dots were connected. Great bear. Congrats.

Nope, I was alone. I was just expecting to stretch my legs out and get some fresh air after work to help cure a cold. I had a plane to catch at noon the following day, and had to work in the AM, so the thought of actually shooting a bear hadn't crossed my mind. It was an easy place, but remote enough. I passed some hikers on a popular local trail - and after a little bushwhacking, spotted this guy across the ridge. I knew instantly I had to at least try for him. He's a no-brainer boar, and there was no question at all. I've hunted that little ridge frequently and have never seen a nice bear, but knew it had the potential. I was in range the minute I saw him, but it took an hour to get a clear shot and I had to move up and down the ridge to get a good clearing and solid rest. I had pressure on the trigger 4 times before he finally let me shoot. 395 yards - lunged him. Knew I'd have to get him ALL out that night, as I was leaving the next day. I had to leave a lot of gear out there for a week. I made it home at 4:30AM, cleaned up and headed to the ER for some stiches before work (cut my hand with a havalon blade while skinning him), and made it out of town on time. It was one of those days where it just worked out. That took 43 trips last spring, only 1 this spring. My ego is fulfilled. :D

Needed Yogi Ortho..

Attachments

• teeth1.jpg
    teeth1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • teeth2.jpg
    teeth2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Teeth3.jpg
    Teeth3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Teeth4.jpg