1. Default Best week for elk rut in SW Colorado?

I have bow hunted the week of Labor Day and the last week of bow in Colorado. Both weeks can be good, but I was wondering if any had any better luck in a different week or does it really matter. Is it just pot luck?

not sure about colorado but in oregon rut kicks in good around sept 15th and trails out about oct 5th,,,of course there are variables to consider.

I've hunted in the Sangre de Cristo's kinda South Central Col - during Muzzleloader for a few years 10000- 11000 ft el. It definitely can very, but i think generally mid to latter part of Sept is the best bet. Quite a few factors like weather, pressure, elevation can change things from area to area. Seems when muzzleloader season is winding down the elk rut is steadily picking up in my opinion. Last year i had a muzzleloader deer tag in unit 61 - el 8000 - 9000 & the elk rut was nowhere in sight yet. Good luck!

There's no elk in Colorado...it's a giant conspiracy on the part of Colorado's government to draw people in to spend lots of money...yeah...that's it
    Baba booey

Quote Originally Posted by hardwoods View Post
    I've hunted in the Sangre de Cristo's kinda South Central Col - during Muzzleloader for a few years 10000- 11000 ft el. It definitely can very, but i think generally mid to latter part of Sept is the best bet. Quite a few factors like weather, pressure, elevation can change things from area to area. Seems when muzzleloader season is winding down the elk rut is steadily picking up in my opinion. Last year i had a muzzleloader deer tag in unit 61 - el 8000 - 9000 & the elk rut was nowhere in sight yet. Good luck!
    I'm pretty sure the elk skipped the rut last year
    I'm turning off Real Life Drive and thats right I'm hittin Easy Street on mud tires

I hunted in CO last year, Sept. 14- 24. I agree with John, there are no elk there!

Sept. 12-25 is a great time to be in the elkwoods! Keep moving until you find them! Give yourself as many days as you possibly can, most cases 5 isn't enough!

ElkNut1

I agree 100% with elknuts time line.Those are the dates I want to be out there.5 days is a little short too.sometimes it takes that long just to figure them out

Yep elknut1 is on the money! Good luck to all!
    Highmountain

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    There's no elk in Colorado...it's a giant conspiracy on the part of Colorado's government to draw people in to spend lots of money...yeah...that's it

Boy you hit the nail on the head, that is it.
    There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

The last couple years have been so warm during archery season it's crazy. Even during muzzleloader in the 3rd week of September, it's still been unseasonably warm. Water has been hard to find in alot of areas due to increasing drought.
    Baba booey

They are all the best, why ya askin?

Elknut is pulling your leg..the rut was made up by busnesses trying to sell calls and lure

Mid to end of sept...hit is hot you will know!
    "Happiness is a gutpile!"

www.bethedecoy.com Hunttalk Partner