Zorbaz on Gull Lake

Beartooth83

I just tried to fill the fly fishing void in my life by trying Stoney Brooke on upper gull lake north of Brainerd. Supposedly it's a good brookie/brown stream, but I didn't even see a trout. Very tough to cast with all the trees. Pretty little stream though. Anyone know what the fish in here eat? I tried all my bugs, nothing worked. I'm going to finish my pizza and beer and go home to dream of MO bows instead.

My experiences on Stoney Brooke have been about the same as yours. It's a nice stream but I couldn't find any trout.

I've had better luck fishing some of the trout lakes a little farther north towards Walker. You could also try the Straight River by Park Rapids. I've done well there.

I am glad someone did well on the Straight. I was there only once and didn't see a one. A few creek chubs and that was it.

Man I haven't had Zorbas in years. That gives me one helluva craving right now!

I've fished that plenty of times with a lot of luck. It's a heavily influenced ground water stream that supports a health population of Brook Trout and some Brown Trout (DNR removed a few not to many years ago. A survey was conducted a year ago, including both fish and macroinvetebrate communities.

Fish Community:
Brook Trout - 264 ranging from 64 to 378 mm
Mottled Sculpin - 67 ranging from 30 to 95 mm
Brown Trout - 55 ranging from 85 to 404 mm
Whit Sucker - 13 ranging from 202 to 327 mm
Hornyhead Chub - 10 ranging from 40 to 72 mm
Bluegill - 7 ranging from 81 to 128 mm
Yellow Perch - 6 ranging from 84 to 99 mm
Johnny Darter - 3 ranging from 25 to 56 mm
Blacknose Dace - 2 ranging from 81 to 106 mm
Northern Pike - 2 ranging from 139 to 172 mm
Pumpkinseed - 1 at a length of 85 mm

Macorinvertebrate Community Dominated By:
Ceratopsyche slossonae, Glossosoma intermedium, Lepidostoma, Orthocladius, Protoptila, Simulium, Uenoidae

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back