You Stink!

idnative1948

What I said to a tent that hasn't been used for years.

Family reunion coming up next week at our off-the-grid place in Oregon. People flying in from out of state so I am airing out a couple of tents and sleeping bags to loan them. One of our old backpacking tents has been packed away for 15+ years and smells FUNKLY. Not mildewed or anything, but really stale. Have had it set up all day long and doesn't seem to be making much progress on the smell.

I could use your not-so humble opinions on what to do with this thing to make it habitable for East coasters other that leave it up for a couple more days.

Pretend it's a 'fridge and put about 400 boxes of baking soda in it? On another tact a bag of charcoal can sometimes help too. I used that on an old ice fishing hut my uncle told me I had to take, and after a day or two, it's semi tolerable.

You can also try some scent killer (hunting spray). Several different ones on the market, but don't use any Elk in Rut Scented ones ;) Primos makes one that is an earth scent, and is a waterproofing also, made for pop up blinds.

Back