Wyoming Transfer of Public lands...

BuzzH

This last legislative session, a bill was introduced, and passed, to "study" the feasibility of transferring all Federal lands to either private ownership or State ownership.

Seems that Wyoming is taking notes from the clowns in Utah who have also proposed similar stupidity.

A task force was assigned and $30,000 was appropriated to "study" the transfer of public lands.

The task force is made up of Larry Hicks, Eli Bebout, Kermit Brown, and David Miller (the sponsor of the bill).

Their email addresses are:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

If hunting, fishing, camping, and recreating on public lands is something you find important, let them know how you feel.

Also, Wyoming Backcountry Hunters and Anglers has taken a position of opposing the transfer of public lands.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/i...s/427-wy-bha-opposes-transfer-of-public-lands

Position Statement: WY BHA Opposes Transfer of Public Lands

During the last Legislative Session in Wyoming, HB228 was passed. Sponsored by House Representative David Miller of Riverton, this bill, referred to as the “Transfer of Public Lands Study” appropriated $30,000 to study the feasibility of transferring all Federal Lands in Wyoming to state and/or private ownership.

WY BHA strongly opposes attempts ‘transfer’ the public lands we all own and depend on – a proposal which would benefit a lucky few at the expense of many. The unmatched freedom and opportunity that Wyoming sportsmen and women enjoy is only possible through access to OUR public lands.

Federal public lands are vitally important to a wide range of recreational user groups, including hikers, anglers, bird watchers, hunters, campers, horse riders, outfitters, and a multitude of other recreational uses. While less than half of the land in Wyoming is publicly owned, according to a 2009 report by the Congressional Sportsmen Foundation, 89 percent of all Wyoming hunters hunt primarily on public land. Access to public land props-up the nearly 15,000 jobs that hunting and fishing support in Wyoming. It’s clear that Wyoming’s rich sporting traditions are what they are because of the public land we can all enjoy.

While the transfer of public lands would undoubtedly impact the freedom that Wyoming sportsmen enjoy, this ploy is also putting unnecessary legal and financial strain on the State of Wyoming. WYBHA finds it irresponsible for the State Legislature to appropriate $30,000 to fund a task force to study the transfer of Public Lands during this time of belt-tightening, stagnant economy, and budget woes – that $30,000 could have been put towards shoring up the Wyoming Game and Fish budget, State Parks, or improving wildlife habitat.

In addition, the Statutory Authority granted the U.S. Government to retain and manage Federal Public Lands (Taylor Grazing Act, Forest Reserves Act of 1891, National Forest Management Act, Resource Planning Act, etc.) is also not being considered. WYBHA supports these various Federal Acts and the Authority granted the U.S. Government to properly retain, fund, and manage Federal Lands for the benefit of not only the citizens of Wyoming, but also of the United States.

WY BHA strongly opposes this wrong-headed legislation. Let your elected officials know that YOUR public lands and sporting heritage is not for sale!

A task force, made up of State Senators Eli Bebout and Larry Hicks and Representatives David Miller and Kermit Brown, has been commissioned and will meet June 5th 2013 in Gillette, Wyoming to discuss this proposal. We invite WY BHA members to join the event and let your voice be heard!

Sounds like they were just looking for a free $30,000 of tax payer money for themselves! The feds would never give up land control. They make ALOT of money from gas & oil drilling on federal lands.

Though I don't hunt or fish in wyoming, I'll gladly pass my thoughts along to these guys. This is ridiculous. What a waste of money. Thanks for the heads up.

The state has no authority to transfer federal property, why would they fund a study where they have no jurisdiction?

Southwind,

That would be a GREAT question to ask the Senators and Representatives on the task force...

Heres an article that will explain the mind set of David Miller and the Tranfer idea...real brain trust.

Last fall state lands hawk and Utah state representative Ken Ivory appeared before a Wyoming legislative committee calling for the transfer of federally owned lands to Western states.

Now it seems Rep. David Miller (R-Riverton) has taken up Ivory’s cause in Wyoming with House Bill 228 —Transfer of federal lands-study.

You might remember Miller for his 2012 “doomsday” bill, which inspired a tongue-in-cheek amendment proposing Wyoming acquire an aircraft carrier.

Miller is an economic geologist from Riverton and CEO of the uranium company Strathmore Minerals Corp. He told WyoFile he disagrees with federal policies that impede development of the mineral economy in Wyoming. As an example he cited the Wyoming Range Legacy Act that withdrew National Forest land from oil and gas drilling.

Miller said he heard Ivory give a presentation about transferring public lands at an American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) conference in Salt Lake City last summer. He liked the idea, and asked Wyoming’s Legislative Service Office to draft a bill on the issue.

Previously, the Wyoming Attorney General’s office wrote an opinion stating that Utah’s federal land transfer laws relied on “a repeatedly rejected reading of the United States Constitution and a strained interpretation of Utah’s statehood act.”

The Attorney General concluded that Wyoming would be unsuccessful with a bill patterned after Utah’s laws. In response to that opinion Miller’s bill stopped short of demanding transfer of federal lands, and simply asked for a study.

House Bill 228 tasks the Attorney General with finding alternative legal recourse to, “compel the federal government to transfer ownership and control of federally owned and managed lands to the state of Wyoming or to private individuals.”

The bill also creates a task force to look at the economic costs of federal management. In particular they would look at the impact of federal permitting delays, the inability to tax federal lands, and management under the Wilderness Act and the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.

The task force, under Miller’s proposal, would consist of nine people with members representing oil and gas, mining, agriculture, travel, and counties, plus four legislators. The group would get $30,000 to conduct the study with assistance from the School of Energy Resources at the University of Wyoming. They must file a report to the Joint Agriculture committee by November 1, 2013.

House Bill 228 passed through the House Agriculture Committee with a 7 to 2 vote at the end of January, and then got 6 to 1 approval from the House Appropriations Committee for the $30,000 fiscal note.

Full story here:

http://wyofile.com/gregory_nickerso...o-study-transfer-of-federal-lands-to-wyoming/

Would Wyoming then assume the fiscal responsibility and the implementation of programs now accomplished by the US Forest Service, BLM, and National Park Service? Do they want the the big cash cow, Yellowstone National Park, also? By cash cow I mean cash consuming cow ... she doesn't pay for herself. Most western federal lands are welfare kids supported by our eastern highly populated, more tax contributing states.

It's appalling that such ignorance and naiive ideology can find supporting votes in a state legislature.
Sometimes of-the-people, for-the-people, by-the-people includes a segment of some people with some strange notions.

Straight Arrow,

It would be just about impossible for the State of Wyoming to do anything but sell off a vast majority of the Federal Lands if they were granted the transfer. Much the same as any other Western State. They dont have the tax base, population, staff, or money to administer that much land, period.

This state would be BANKRUPT with one major fire season if they made any attempts to control wildlfires.

Further, the simple administration of what are now Federal Lands would sink them financially. No question in my mind.

It appears to me that David Miller has a very direct conflict of interest, as he is pissed off about not being able to run rough-shod over Wyoming with his Uranium business.

Apparently he thinks that responsible development, mitigation, and NEPA requirements are simply out to hinder his bottom line. I have a news flash, there are Federal as well as State requirement that must be met when you're searching for or extracting minerals from Federal Lands.

He thinks he should be entitled to explore and develop Federal Lands. But, since he isnt able to politically get his way with that, his bright idea is to end-run the requirements by getting rid of those pesky Federally held public lands.

Your hunting, your wildlife, your recreation and YOUR public lands...arent even a consideration. All are in the way of his company and making more money.

Its a joke, and the exact reason why the voting public should show these types of guys the door come next election cycle...

They dont care about their own constituents...let alone Public lands and Public Resources. They do care about their own agendas and the desire to pillage your public lands though.

Not sure an email will change their minds. I would suggest a letter the editor to their local rags for their constituents to ponder.

From purely a hunting perspective, this type of activity is a direct assault on the public land hunter. Probably more so on the self-guided public land hunter than anyone, whether he lives in Maine or Montana, Wyoming or Wisconsin. Amazing how many obstacles are being laid down in front of the public land self-guided hunter these days.

My confidence in human nature tells me this is a waste of Wyoming's time and money, as once they complete their due diligence, they will see what a losing proposition it is. Unless, they final goal is to sell the land, not manage the land. Hopefully my confidence is not proven to be poorly placed.

I could go on and on related to this and similar topics, but better judgment says I save my comments for a different time and place.

I really shake my head and wonder who and why these guys get elected. I have talked with Larry Hicks once, seemed like a great guy. I am a little dissapointed that he is part of this, and also was part of the past fiasco that Buzz posted about. Politicians need to seperate hunting and fishing on public land from business interest 100% This crap about passing laws and rulings because it has anything to do with the economy or private business has to go.

Surprised Colorado hasn't done something like this, but then they are gradually giving all wildlife management over to landowners so it shouldn't be long before they do :(

Schmalts,

I agree with you...it really is a shame in regard to Senator Hicks.

Although in fairness, I dont know what his official stance is on this whole transfer of public land deal. Somehow I have a hard time believing it will be in support of Public lands remaining in Public hands...I really hope I'm wrong about that, I really do.

But, what I do know is what went on in the last legislative session. There was A LOT of misinformation spread, some out-right lies, and some legislation that has the potential to set some very bad precedence in regard to handling Wyomings Wildlife on Public Lands (if it already hasnt).

I really thought having a hunter of Sen. Hicks caliber in the State Senate would be a good deal...I'm sorry to say I was dead wrong.

From my experience with the State Legislature, a vast majority need a whole lot of education regarding Public Lands, Wildlife Resources, and associated issues.

On a positive note, there are quite a number that seem willing to understand the issues. I can also say with 100% confidence that I will be much better prepared to deal with these issues in the future.

That topic was heard somewhat during the 2011 legislative session in Montana, but not recently. Montana's historic economic driver, the agricultural industry, is about to be surpassed in revenue (if it hasn't already) by tourism. Tourism in Montana is critically dependent on the public lands for sightseeing, wildlife viewing, hunting, fishing, and the many other recreational opportunities.

Even the wingnuts, who have advocated the state grabbing all the public lands and selling or otherwise exploiting these lands, are realizing that Montana is relatively well off because of public lands.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back