PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Landowner Tag Question

805Bowhunter

I was recently speaking to someone who said they had purchased a landowner tag in Wyoming to archery hunt Elk this fall (2017). He said he barely new the landowner but was "excited to hunt the ranch because he had heard great things." I was always under the impression that Wyoming landowner tags were only for family/blood relatives. Is that not the case? How do landowner tags work in Wyoming? Is it possible for a NR random person to just buy a landowner tag from a landowner?

To be clear, this is not a person who drew a specific tag and has permission to hunt private in that unit. I looked on the WYO site and didnt see anything specifically addressing this, albeit I did not look for a very long time.

I bet he bought a tag on a high fence operation.

Leftover tags are not even for sale yet. The Wyoming residents have not even had their draw yet.

I echo what was said above. My family has some property in Wyoming and we can get a couple landowner tags. When I originally called about them several years ago the warden very clearly explained that the tags can not be sold.

I bet he bought a tag on a high fence operation.

Leftover tags are not even for sale yet. The Wyoming residents have not even had their draw yet.

Theres only 2 high fence operations in the entire state of Wyoming...and I think only 1 that allows "hunting".

Thank you guys for your responses. The guy was a huge tool and ironically what started our conversation was the WYO podcast with Buzz/Randy (Thanks for your reply Buzz...loved hearing you on the podcast and thanks for what you do for the hunting community). Ive only hunted Wyoming once...it was incredible....building points again.

It bothered me that he was saying, "Nope if you have money you just buy a tag from a landowner." Being that I am not privy to the state's laws/statutes, I didnt know. Thank you for clarifying.

I think he could have talked to a private landowner in a unit that has a ton of private land and got access to hunt that particular property. So essentially he is paying for a trespass fee and a tag, but I can see this being marketed as a package deal if the tags are 100% draw or left over. I bet the landowner tells people they have to book before the draw date and put down a non-refundable deposit which is actually the cost of the tag. The landowner then asks for all your details and puts you in for the draw themselves because they are setup as a registered license vendor. This way the landowner doesn't have to deal with you jacking up the draw process and wanting to pull out of a hunt.

This is pretty much how a guided hunt works so I can't imagine it being different with a savy landowner, the guy you talked to could have been confused because the landowner was handling everything for him.

Years ago the "Hunting Report" was advertising landowner tags for sale in Wyoming. I contacted them and told the guy he could not do that, landowner tags can not be transferred. Notified the Game Warden and low and behold the ad was pulled pretty fast.
Landowner tags can not be transferred, sold or given away.

Back