Wyoming G&F budget news...

BuzzH

http://wyofile.com/dustin/hunters-anglers-restore-wyoming-game-and-fish-budget/

I wish I would have been able to attend the latest TRW interim meeting...sounds like the committee got an earful.

Approximately 30 members of the public addressed the committee. Many of them said that while they appreciate the cost-cutting exercise that the legislature has imposed on the Game and Fish Department, the department has been forced to slash so much from its operations that it can no longer appropriately manage wildlife resources in the state.

The department was forced to trim some $2 million from its 2013 budget, another $4.6 million from its 2014 budget, and it is preparing to trim millions more for 2015 and beyond. Lost are public access programs, youth education and recruitment programs, along with some game wardens and field biologists. Fish hatchery upgrades worth approximately $463,000 have been postponed. The department will cut back on fishery stocking in 2014, and $350,000 was eliminated for conservation easements and land acquisitions to expand public access for fishing and hunting.

Seventeen-year-old Haley Powell, a Rock Springs High School student, told lawmakers that blocking investments in wildlife management today will have serious repercussions for her generation. Powell said she’d planned on participating in a Wyoming Game and Fish youth program this summer, but the program was recently cut. She asked how Wyoming Game and Fish can expect to draw support from hunters, fishermen and others if the industry is not successfully recruiting the next generations? “In order to really benefit our future we really need to have a fully-funded Wyoming Game and Fish,” Powell said.

Trevor Stevenson, executive director of the Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance, said that a budget-cutting-only approach is no long-term solution to concerns that Wyoming Game and Fish may have grown too big over the years. He said that wildlife management must be based on sound biological science or the state will not be able to properly manage wildlife species. “Defunding wildlife biologists is not going to help the situation,” Stevenson testified.

Neil Thagard, western outreach director for the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Alliance, was pointed in his criticism of legislators’ actions regarding the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. “In the last legislative session, our elected officials chose to cut one of the state’s best revenue streams, and by doing so you failed us,” said Thagard, underscoring the fact that hunting and fishing generates $1.1 billion in annual revenues to the state. “If you were my financial advisor, I’d fire each and every one of you.”

Thagard then took aim at the motives of the legislative committee. He said the committee’s deliberations on this budget discussion have been scheduled for times and places — during a weekday in Teton Village, for example — where average, working hunters and anglers are unlikely to attend. Thagard said he’s spoken with a former Game and Fish employee who said the committee didn’t want to hear from former state employees or non-governmental organization representatives on the Wyoming Game and Fish budget matter.

Committee cochairman Sen. Bruce Burns (R-Sheridan) took offense to the comment. “I’ve been on this committee for 10 years, and the notion that this committee has worked to exclude anybody — NGOs or anybody else — I find insulting. This committee has never done that,” said Burns.

Any surpise about this group and them being in the minority of those who want to de-fund WY G&F?

Only a handful of people who commented at the meeting cautioned against restoring Game and Fish’s budget. Bob Wharff, executive director of Wyoming Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, said he prefers the department’s downsized budget, and he believes that sportsmen organizations are well suited to take on public education and youth-and-women’s recruitment programs slashed by Game and Fish.

“I want to see Wyoming Game and Fish funded, but I think a lot of concern has been overstated. … They’re acting as though the sky will fall,” said Wharff

Many people in the sportsmen community take special note of the fact that Wharff and the Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife were among the few who opposed the bill to raise license fees during the last legislative session — helping to kill a measure that had enjoyed strong support in the 2012 interim.

Let's call a spade, a spade. SFW, whether in UT, MT, WY, or elsewhere, will not be happy until they have completely dismantled the models by which we have built hunting and fishing opportunity to a level that is the envy of the world. They use the UT franchise fees to accomplish their work in other states, all to the detriment of resident hunters.

So there were 80+ hunter/angler groups at the meeting, all supporting funding for WY G&F. Then we get one group, SFW, who claims to have all the answers.

Here is an interesting lettter from the guys who used to operate the Cody chapter of SFW. See how much trust and faith they have in Mr. Wharff and his SFW operation. They should know better than anyone. The Executive Director wages they refer to in this letter would be the same ED who is making all the boastful claims in these articles. Looks like he might be in for a pay cut when his chapters start rebelling.

SFW.jpg

Seems Mr. Wharff is losing his chapters like rats fleeing a sinking ship. Yet, he proclaims that his organization can take on recruitment, education, etc. Hell, what little remains of his fifedom couldn't take on a Girl Scout bake sale.

The best thing that could ever happen to WY is SFW losing all of their chapters and their ED be forced to go get a real job. But, if they run out of funding, I suspect he will call his pals in UT and see if they can employ the UT Big Game Forever strategy and get the legislature to fund him a few hundred thousand each session.

I wonder how many members SFW actually has in WY. The testimony they always provide is that they have thousands of members, but they never provide evidence of such. They are a house of cards, and the sooner it collapses, the better.

I wonder how many members SFW actually has in WY. .

I don't know the answer to that but I do know that out of the 90 or so folks at the hearing, 3 were SFW employees or members. The lodging & tourism industry showed up to pledge cooperation, WYOGA stood with the majority, Conservation organizations turned out in force. I can't remember a time when there were so many women hunters & anglers that showed up to testify. Between a very eloquent 17 year old girl from Rock Springs, a mother with her brand new son in her arms and another mother who told her story about the G&F's education programs turning her family from anti-hunting to self-sustaining on wild game and fish, the ladies knocked it out of the park.

It was pretty impressive.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 414
I REALLY wanted to be there. It sounds like a lot was discussed, and hopefully we can move forward with sound ideas, not ones that line people's pockets.

I REALLY wanted to be there. It sounds like a lot was discussed, and hopefully we can move forward with sound ideas, not ones that line people's pockets.

I would hope so. There was some good testimony about ensuring G&F independence. Let's hope the Legislators heard that as well. Some of the ideas offered handed more control of the agency to the Legislature. Most of those were forwarded by Wharff.

I am glad to see the WGF get a slap down. For years they have did pretty much as they wanted with the money they got. Buildings that take many many millions to build, statues that cost many hundreds of thousands, employee perks that were out of norm, overloading the projects with people just to have a presence. And if they needed more money they just raised license prices. I will stop there. I do hate to see what kind of stuff they have done to "lower their costs" against the citizens of Wyoming, but totally expected that from them. Maybe the wakeup call from the hunters and people here will work on future projects they may have in their sights......

I am glad to see the WGF get a slap down. For years they have did pretty much as they wanted with the money they got. Buildings that take many many millions to build, statues that cost many hundreds of thousands, employee perks that were out of norm, overloading the projects with people just to have a presence. And if they needed more money they just raised license prices. I will stop there. I do hate to see what kind of stuff they have done to "lower their costs" against the citizens of Wyoming, but totally expected that from them. Maybe the wakeup call from the hunters and people here will work on future projects they may have in their sights......

Comments like these are sad, funny, and ridiculous at the same time.

Hard to comprehend that anyone that supposedly hunts could be this ill informed about the WYG&F budget.

The "new" building in Cheyenne was NOT paid for by license dollars, it was appropriated via the Legislature from the general fund. The building in Cheyenne was an addition and a remodel, not a completely new structure.

Its also hard to believe anyone could be "glad" to see a "slap down" then turn around 3 sentences later and bitch about the programs that the WYG&F was forced to reduce/cut to meet budget shortfalls.

I'd also like to hear about all these "employee perks". I fail to find anything out of the ordinary in regard to salaries, retirement, or health insurance with the G&F. In fact, not many people are willing to accept the benefit package that G&F employees receive when considering the qualifications required as well as the requirements of the job once you hire on.

The only "wake-up" call needed is for the Wyoming Sage's of the world to pull their head out of the.....sand. Do some research and inform yourself before you strap on the velcro pants and the show the world your ass.

Back