Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Freezer meat

Duck-Slayer

So the last few years we have figured it was cheaper too go too wyoming and shoot a bunch of doe's with the rifle than hunting anything else, so we have started too make it a annual trip over there too shoot our quota of doe's, it was a fun trip that the whole family can enjoy, It was my Wife with 2 tags, my Son(Drake) and my Daughter(Alexis), both of my parents came also Curtis and Roxie. My parents went a couple days before us, had too wait for my daughter too get out of school, there pretty picky on how many days they can miss... retarded... so we were not able too leave till Monday after Alexis got her full day in, Got there at dark the night before the opener.

The first morning was fairly uneventful, about 11a.m. on the first day we were headed back too camp and saw 5 doe's and a buck off the highway, they were there earlier when we went by, so we figured what the heck, found a opening in the huge fence along the highways and got too about 275, perfect range for my wife, she was steady and all but I forgot too take into account the 30 mph cross wind and shot just in front of the doe, dang.... her first miss ever either with a bow or rifle..... but it was my bad. After that we headed back too camp as we were pulling into camp there is s water hole about 150 yards from camp and there was a Doe and 2 fawns hanging out by the water eating the weeds that like too grow by water and my dad hopped out snuck too 125 yards and put the smack down the the big Doe,

Dad's 1st Doe,
IMG_0838_zpsf77422cc.jpg

Nothing was in a good position that evening, but we did spot a herd too stalk in on the following morning, we went back too that spot and they were bedded perfect on the side of a hill, my wife and I made the 1 mile stalk over too there position, just as we were getting set up the wind shifts and we get busted, they run and run and run till there almost back too the road where dad was watching it unfold from, being an old timer he knew how too fix this situation, he shot into the hill and spooked them right back towards us, we watched them for about a 1/2 hour and let them calm down, all we had too do was sneak over the next ridge, I ranged the biggest doe we could see at 318 yards, got the wife set up on my pack she got rock solid and shot..... WHAP! and down she went perfect shot, we got up too her boned her out and packed her the 1 1/2 miles back too the truck and put her in the cooler......

Wife's 1st wyoming antelope,
IMG_0840_zpsc6cb61d8.jpg

Wife and I cutting it up
IMG_0842_zpse0391c69.jpg

So we eat lunch and head back down the road, Dad had said that the bunch joined up with another herd and headed out, well just so happens they ran directly down the road we were going out on and decided too cross the road while we were driving, well half were stuck on one side the other half on the other and they weren't sure what was going on, so we bale out of the truck dad grabs his sicks and we go maybe 20 yards and pop over the little nob and there half of them were, dad try's a quick running shot and misses, I drop mine simultaneusly, dad lucks out and they stop on the other hill about 150 yards out and pile drives his, "he blamed it on the 250 zero so he shot way over":confused:, anyway so I got my antelope tag filled and my dad filled his second and my wife shooting her first so 3 antelope down in about 40 min., pretty good deal,

Mine
IMG_0844_zpsd30128c8.jpg

I actually heart shot mine and it had a hole the size of my fist right behind the shoulder, bleed like crazy, this is my new way of getting them back too the truck than we boned them out with the gutless method,
IMG_0845_zps961130e7.jpg

Dad's 2nd doe
IMG_0843_zpse74c2f9e.jpg

After that we took the rest of the day off, and kicked back and had a few ice cold corona's,
It also rained every day we were there so driving off the main highway and gravel roads were not happening.

The following morning we just drove from camp down the main gravel road and we got lucky and there were 2 Doe's and 2 fawn's just chilling by the road, we stop get out, take the mandatory 5 feet off the road, wife threw the gun on my should, plugged my ear's and WHAP! drops her second Antelope. It was a great time, wish the kiddo's could have been alittle more involved, they got bored pretty quick driving around, but they both got too see my dad shoot his antelope just outside of camp, all they could take was the 1 day riding around,

wife's 2nd antelope,
IMG_0847_zps9324157a.jpg

After that we got camp all cleaned up and headed home for the half day of processing our kills....
My wife and Son grinding antelope burger.....
IMG_0848_zps2d98579c.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the story, it was a great family experience, hopefully next year one of us will draw a buck tag.... I only put in for 1 Doe tag, I have a deer/antelope/elk tag in Idaho too fill.
Matt

Last edited:
Great story! You just can't beat a successful day in the field, unless it's with the entire family! You're fortunate, my wife will only shoot! No butchering at all for her. Good looking family too!

Great family vacation and trip. Hacksaw Jim Dugan gives two thumbs up and a cross eyed grin on your pack out method.

Congrats! That is some quality family time. Hunting pronghorns are way near the top of fun.

Good job Matt and crew. Good times!
Do you burger and steak all your lopes or sausage and jerky?

I tend to grill the loin and some backstrap but then do Jalapeno cheddar summer sausage and pepper sticks on the rest. We'll eat 3 lopes a year that way. Kids also eat 2 elk a year as steaks, roasts and burger.

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Good job Matt and crew. Good times!
Do you burger and steak all your lopes or sausage and jerky?

I tend to grill the loin and some backstrap but then do Jalapeno cheddar summer sausage and pepper sticks on the rest. We'll eat 3 lopes a year that way. Kids also eat 2 elk a year as steaks, roasts and burger.

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Mostly burger.... Make the straps into steaks.... We probably won't get too the lopers till march or so, got an elk and deer in front, in the freezer and my wife has a cow elk and deer tag, after the season I start making sausage and jerky as we need it, I do cut a few roasts out of the elk, but all steaks are cut out of the straps, yummy goodness, I feel sorry for the poor non hunters that don't get taste the yummy goodness.... Not really lol...
Matt

Good for you, maybe slaying a pile of whitetail does around Sheridan would fit the bill as well.

What a great day!!
Good for you to get the whole family out making memories together.
Congrats

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back