Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Antelope

Elite7

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum, but have been on this site a lot through the years reading everyones posts. I have talked my soon to be wife into going antelope hunting on our way out to Yellowstone this fall. Due to the timing of our Yellowstone trip it looks like we will need to enter the special draw. My plan right now is to enter her in the special draw and I will take my chances in the regular draw. I am having a hard time finding information on what liscences/ permits (If any) are needed if I wouldnt draw a tag. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, i would sure appreciate it! Thanks

Welcome. The Special Draw and the Regular Draw are the same tag, same time periods, etc., just one being a higher price that supposedly will give you better draw odds.

Good luck.

The timing of your trip shouldn't have anything to do with whether you put in for the Regular or Special Draw since the tag is the same, as are the hunt dates. I'm also not understanding what you mean about you not drawing a tag, unless you mean the process of buying a leftover tag in July. Where will you be coming from to go out to Yellowstone on your trip? If it's from the east and you'll be going across the whole state, send me a PM and I'll get you set up on a hunt on public land for both of you and along with the Conservation Stamp you'll each need you'll be in the neighborhood of $650 for 2 buck tags.

Thanks for the response! I should have given more detail. We are coming back from our Yellowstone trip Septemeber 22/23rd. This narrows down the number of units that we could draw for rifle hunting. We each have 1 preference point. We are looking at units that would open up the 24th and 25th. I am considering applying my wife into the special draw so that we are garenteed a tag (Unless the draw odds really get tough this year). I would either not apply or apply in the regular draw. If i dont apply or get a tag, is there any permits/ fees that I would need to pay to tag along?

Okay, that helps a lot in knowing what you want. First off, you don't need anything to help a person hunt or tag along with them in Wyoming. It sounds like you've already looked at this link (https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH5) for the units that have dates compatible with your schedule. It also looks like you've looked at the draw odds for the Special Draw, so I guess you'll have to see which one has good public access and can be drawn with your 1PP. The unit I was going to get you in doesn't open until 10/1 so it's out and I guess you're on your own.

Topgun, I appreciate the help! Hopefully next year I can talk her into it again and we will have more unit options.

I hope she has as much fun as me. This will be her second time out west and first time to Yellowstone. Seeing the elk rut in Yellowstone and possibly getting a goat might help her drop the beach vacations! If that fails maybe we can at least compromise and rotate every year.

I hope it works out for you, i was planning some thing similar and was debating unit 93. I think you need about 6 regular points to draw, but you can stay in Kemmerer or use it as your travel hub. and its not flat and all desert like you other WY units. You can hut for a few fays then be a short Drive from the Tetons or Yellowstone. Other units that will do, depending on what you are looking at.

We will be heading east through the state. I am looking at unit 26 or possibly 42. Both are labeled as difficult access but I have bought the onxmap and it looks manageable. I can't believe all of the land that is locked by private property!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back