Wy unit 90 type 1 vs. type 2 lic. pros and cons

DRS

Starting to plan a hunt for next year. Considering unit 90 which I think I should have a fair chance of drawing with 7 pts. I see where the hunt types are split between the east and west parts of the unit. I haven't hunted antelope in this part of the state before and was wondering if one tag would better than the other or is it a toss up.

Unit 90 has plenty of speedgoats, Im not sure of the trophy potential but I have seen some really nice bucks. I have hunted 90 type 1(any antelope) and type 6(doe/fawn) successfully for the past four years. I only had a type 1 tag once and managed to shoot a decent buck. I haven't hunted west of hwy 191, but I don't see why there wouldn't be plenty of goats out there. East of 191 seems to be more foothill terrain as its closer to the wind river range, while west of 191 seems a bit flatter. A couple years back my friend shot a really nice buck only an hour after arriving at our hunt spot. Also, I've never seen a ton of other hunters there. PM if you'd like more info. I'm jealous.

A large portion of the type 2 area is a gas field, type 1 is much less developed. Pretty similar antelope in each unit, my preference is the type 1 tag.

Hunted the east side in 2015 with my teenage son. No shortage of bucks to look at. Tons of public land, easy access, very good time. We hunted late in the season and saw tons of bucks that all started looking the same. Focused on a good time with son and his first pronghorn rather than all about trophy animal. Great hunt if you're not worried about hitting a certain mark or trophy score. If you have your heart set on a trophy book buck maybe hunt early, scout, or look at other unit.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was out deer hunting for a few days. Thanks very much for the helpful replies. I'm not necessarily looking for a record book buck. I was wanting this to be a low stress combo hunt/vacation with my wife who has spent very little time out west. I was thinking of going either the last week of September or the 1st week of October and staying in Pinedale.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back