WY Antelope Hunt Research. Still a couple questions??

Jack Hoyt

I have been on 2 Antelope hunts in Colorado but really have a strong desire to hunt in Wyoming. I just want to spend more time in the WY country.

After a weekend of research and reading some online I still am not 100% clear on somethings. I currently have 1 PP but will put in to earn more. GOAL for 2017 is to hunt WY without burning my PP but still hunt in a decent unit with average or above average public land access. I will have a Onyx Map by then.

Can anyone give a quick tutorial on how to read the the Draw Odds & Report spreadsheet? How do you use this info to choose a unit?

I was thinking of trying to hunt the Casper Region or in Carbon County. Potential units could be 73, 68, 25, 62, 63 or even 47,48.

How to you apply and not use your PP?

What is difference between Random Draw Non-Res. and Random Draw Non-Res. Special? What is the Special License?

Why is there a draw if you can get a Statewide license? Someone on another thread here said you can get a Statewide license at Cabela's in WY?

Ultimate goal is for 2 guys to go to WY, hunt a decent area for a buck or buck and doe, long walk-ins and boot time is not a issue (no road hunting), still save our PP for future.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

First off, the draw odds on the F&G are very simple to read. Go to the Regular or Special Draw odds on the F&G website and you can see how many tags were allotted for each unit and then you can go right down the columns to see how many of those tags were drawn in each PP pool starting at the top people with max or near max PPs. It is, therefore, very simple to see how far down the tags went before there were no more tags left. Some tags may all go in the top pool and not even satisfy that pool, which is the case in the top units like are in the Carbon County area you mentioned. The only difference between the Regular and Special Draws is the money spent and the fact that the higher priced draw is supposed to give a person better odds at drawing a tag, but that isn't always the case. That can also be determined just by looking at the two draws. Wyoming gives out 75% of their tags to the PP draws and 25% in the Random. They again split the tags in the PP Draws with 60% going to the Regular and 40% to the higher priced Special Draw.

In order not to lose your PPs when you go into the draw you need to put a unit down as your first choice that you have no chance to draw with the number of PPs you have in that draw. You should know, however, that everyone has a slight chance in the Random Draw at their first choice since 25% of the tags are allotted to that draw and if they happen to be a lucky one they would still lose their PPs. That was just covered in a thread earlier today in the Elk Forum, as many don't realize that happens. Put units down for your second and third choices that still had tags left after the final draw and that you would like to hunt. That is the Random Draw and that odds chart strictly shows the number of tags allotted for each unit in that draw and then there are columns showing the number of people that had it as their first, second, or third choice. That way you can see units that had more tags than applicants after those people's choices were satisfied.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you ask the question regarding a statewide license because there is no such thing! Every antelope unit is a stand alone LQ unit and that is the only unit you can hunt on that tag when you put in and draw it or get it as a leftover. The only way you could hunt different antelope units would be to get a second buck license if there are any left after the draw since Wyoming does allow a person to have two buck licenses each year if there are leftovers. The same is true of doe tags since the law allows up to four per person if they are available after the draws. The doe draws are all random with everyone being equal and no PPs used, such that they have no bearing on the buck draws.

Last edited:
SOunds like most of your questions will be answered by checking out Randy's video about the WY draw,
https://youtu.be/YVIhSwSuDpA

As far as trying to hunt and keep your preference points, you can either apply for a long shot tag and then hope to draw a buck tag on a second choice or you can look for leftover tags after the draw and purchase one that way. There is no such thing as a statewide tag unless you get the super tag I suppose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back