Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wild Llamas?

Oak

Expert
Isn't this the same way we ended up with 'wild' horses and burros? ;)

BLM wants to round up abandoned llamas
Sunday, May 09, 2004

MONTROSE — The Bureau of Land Management Uncompahgre Field Office is taking steps to remove a herd of 15 abandoned llamas in the Escalante Canyon area.

Officials believe the llamas were abandoned approximately a year ago on the mesa tops east of Escalante Canyon, eight miles west of Delta. Since then, ranchers and recreationists in the area have reported encounters with the llama herd.

The llamas will be removed for their own health and safety, in accordance with BLM land-use regulations.

The area the llamas are in is permitted for sheep grazing. The llamas, which are not native to the area, face dangers from predators as well as the challenging terrain and climate if left to fend for themselves.

The llama roundup should be completed by May 28, at which time they will be auctioned to help recover the costs of the roundup, as required by BLM regulations.

There is no way they're going to even come close to recovering their costs by auctioning off a few llamas. :rolleyes: They face danger from predators? So what? Let the cougars eat 'em. It would at least save a few deer.

I don't know, but they sure aren't worth what they were about 12-14 years ago.

I like these parts of the article:
Officials believe the llamas were abandoned approximately a year ago... The llamas, which are not native to the area, face dangers from predators as well as the challenging terrain and climate if left to fend for themselves.
I'd say if they've made it a year, they've found a way to fend for themselves.

Oak

I'm not an expert on llamas, but from what I've heard you can hardly give 'em away. Supply/Demand ratio is out of whack...heck what good are they anyway, other than as pets? If a guy wants to feed livestock, it may as well be livestock that people want to eat.

Llamas, the other red meat.

Should be selling permits for people to go get they self a Llama to cover the cost of administering the land.

I've been saying for years that I want to take emu's and llamalope's. Think about it a 150 grain ballistic clipping along at 3350 out of 300 win into the chest of an emu. :rolleyes: Someday we will get the chance. Think of all the llamalope hunting vidios that the moose man could specialize in. "Death in the thick wool", could be his first one. :eek:

Llama hunting started in 1999 in Montana

Dateline: Montana -- A rather inexperienced 21-year-old hunter kicked off this year's big game season with a bang by bagging a 300-pound buck on his very first day. Unfortunately, the Montana man had actually shot himself a llama on the Cascade Hutterite Colony near Fort Shaw. Although hunting domestic llama is technically illegal, no charges were filed. The clueless hunter wasn't even aware of his error until he hauled the hornless, long-necked, woolly-haired animal to a meat processing plant and was quickly informed of the difference between a deer and a llama. "The guy is absolutely humiliated," said a local game warden.
Yet in 1999 an exotic beast apparently confused a hunter in Montana who brought down an unusual critter on the Cascade Hutterite Colony near Fort Shaw. Only after he and his partner tagged and field dressed their 300 pound trophy and presented it at the local meat processor's did they begin to suspect all was not as it should have been. The processor refused to handle the carcass, so the befuddled hunters next took the animal to the state-run game check station where they were informed that their "deer" was in fact a llama.

Barbara "a fatal case of moostaken identity" Mikkelson

Last updated: 4 December 2003
LINK

I would imagine the guy who mistook a Llama for a deer would have to move out of Montana.
Nemont

Actually, one thing Llamas are commonly used for is to protect herds of sheep from predators. Their long necks give them a great vantage point and couple with their great eyesight, they are very hard to sneak up on.

If a predator does get close, those things are more than ornery and will protect the herd at all costs. Most sheep ranchers think they are better than dogs at protecting the herd.

So I would think that a whole herd of Llamas would be a tough target for any predator, including lions.

Awesome, I get to buy a dangerous game rifle to go with my new bass boat on my guided high fence llamalope hunt. Will SCI score it for me?

For a mear plane ticket I'll take care of the "llama problem" :D

I can't imagine the cost of the roundup... I bet it will reach in the thousands. lets see at least a couple guys, probably a helo, and some trucks for hauling them off... for a couple days... I wonder if this is just a press release to try and not draw any heat and they will just go in and whack em and be done with it! I wonder what they would do if some one just came along and offed em? They say their abandoned, their feral (like the little kitties I shoot) and not proteced under the wild horse and burrow act... hummmm I wonder if I can squeeze a trip in this summer...

[ 05-12-2004, 08:04: Message edited by: Bambistew ]

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back