Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
The terminus is pretty sweet, there was one in Barney's. Material is definitely loud, kinda reminded me of the stuff hyperlite uses, I wonder if as it ages it get's quieter.
Only 1 season on it, but mine doesn't appear to be getting any quieter yet. I didn't really think the noise was an issue though, so I made it my dedicated bow hunting pack. It's my favorite SG pack so far. I wish they made the internal meat sleeve a touch wider, but that's about the only thing I'd change. I about pooped my pants trying to get a full BOMB bag into that sleeve this fall. Going to have to switch to smaller bags or load it with the game bag already in the sleeve.

I have an Exo 5500 and a 2000. I purchased right when they started, late 2014. The only complaint I have is I HATE those long side pockets. Otherwise, it is great. Meat hauling is awesome, I think I have hauled out ~50 animals in it, 13 elk in the last 3 years. I have had up to ~140 lbs in it at times, nothing has torn off.

I'm down to the Exo vs the Kuiu for my next pack. This thread has been helpful.

Exo 3500
Squeaks. Will try cleaning it as suggested
belt really digs into hips when weighted. Seems like webbing is right on skin with no padding. Never packed out with another pack so I’m not sure if any other pack can be better when full of camp & animal? 100+ lbs just sucks?

Lid strapping sloppy fitting. I usually remove it unless many day backpacking and I need the space.

Hip pouches pretty small. However webbing does allow for putting other stuff on hips
Side pockets elastic stopped retracting after 3-4 years

Largest sitka pack, 6200 Mountain Hauler, is nice for those 3+ day hunts where you’re packing lots of gear and food. But sinches down and light enough to use for an overnighter or even a day hunt. Lightweight frame and super comfy. Easy to engage and release the hip straps. Downside is the meat goes in main sleeve on frame so trash bags are a must unless you want to clean the blood out each time.

I have a Gregory Denali 100 that I use for everything. I'm usually the pack mule on family backpack trips, and it doubles as my hunting pack. Unfortunately I have not packed out an animal with it, but I expect it to perform well in that regard. Hopefully I'll find out this year

I have a Kifaru Mountain Warrior. It has worked very well for me aand has stood up extremely well to some harsh use. Biggest concerns are: 1) it is heavy, roughly 8 pounds empty, 2) it isn't water proof and not all that water resistant so if the snow/rain is heavy, I have to put on a rain cover. Not a big deal but it just takes a little more time/effort, 3) the pack feels like it is riding too low sometimes even when I have the belt positioned correctly on my hips. Usually when I am carrying a very heavy load. Maybe a different lumbar pad design would help that, I don't know. Being able to mount added bags via the molle webbing is a huge plus. I have my spotting scope and tripod in a side-mounted bag so moving place to place is very easy. And with food in the outside pocket and a side-mounted water bottle carrier on the belt, I rarely need to access the main compartment unless I am changing layers. I also really like the gun-carry system for hiking into and out of locations where I am pretty sure a quick shot isn't going to be needed.
That's a great bag.

I have an Exo 4800. Absolutely love it. Only issue is that it took awhile to get the pack to fit me. Lots of trial and error. I wish it was a little wider on the bottom. Otherwise, it's an amazing bag.
It's surprising to me that EXO isn't getting more love on this thread. From everything that I've used, they hands down have the best, most intuitive bag layouts. And no excess straps!

KIfaru is on the heavier side on paper compared to other packs. Mystery Ranch Marshall didn't cinch down tight when half empty due to the torpedo pockets, which isnt a problem when the pack is used the way its designed but other packs do a good job making the "extra pack" disappear.

I have tried a few. I really liked my mystery ranch j til I put a stone glacier on, it was on another level comfort wise. I still like the mystery ranch for shorter outings or scouting trips. My buddy swears by his exo and I know they sell a quality pack.

Eberlestock F1: Load shelf is super low - sucks for hauling meat. Hip belt is cool, but it is some sort of woven stuff that gets pine needles and spike grass stuck into it.

SG: So. Many. Straps. A high wind will likely take your eye out. No pouches on the hip belt (Water, snacks.) Side pouches are useless for water bottles larger than 500ml. Really expensive.

Camp Trails frame: Straps and hip belt suck so much. (Replace them with something good and it's actually not a bad system.) If you use the aluminum pins, the frame is noisy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back