Caribou Gear Tarp

Why are there no Smokey Bears in the Navy? Can't bears swim?

TomTeriffic

The smokey bear hat was chosen, I believe, for Army drill sergeants and Marine DI's because it looks scary as hell. Recruit training NCO's in the Air Force, the Coast Guard and even the newfangled "Space Farce" wear these "campaign hats". These hats make state troopers look terrifying as well. The Navy is the only branch in the American service that doesn't employ smokey bear hats to scare recruits to death. Though the bark of Navy boot camp trainers (in those red shoulder ropes) is horrific, still they don't seem so scary without those trooper hats.

smokey jack.jpg

Last edited:
They'd never fit on a Chiefs Head, let alone a Master Chief Petty Officer. LOL

I wore one the day my mom came by the Ranger station for a picture. As a joke.
There was one Ranger who wore it, who had been a grunt.
I wore a ball cap or a Fedora as a Ranger.
Everyone else wore a stupid straw cowboy hat that would always blow off.

I have 2 campaign hats. One my grandpas from 1918 and a 1910 Forest Reserve Ranger hat.

I do have a straw cowboy hat a GF gave me. It hangs on an antler in the living room, because it always blows off.

...and you'd never get through a hatch or up or down a gangway. Tight quarters.
We were forced to wear a weird white hat at times as a sailor. And the dress the sailors have to wear...unless you were in combat and in country. Dungerees and combat fatigues. Helmets. Caps,boonies.
Much better as a Chief. We wore what we wanted.
Never saw one of those lids on a gyreen in country.

You're scared of a hat?
In the Marines, these hats would scare you! These guys make my Army drill sergeants of 35 years ago sound like boy scouts leaders.
Shark attack? This is an attack of a hungry pack of wolves on scared little "freshly shorn" lambs.

Last edited:
Tom you know what would be even worse for you. A woman drill instructor wearing a campaign hat.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back