Which Arrow Poll.

LNGBOWFLYER

So long story short I recently figured out my DL is not 28" but its 26.5". Went to get some more lessons and have shot for 6 years, have done 3D and am a pretty good shot so thought nothing of it. Guess your never to "experienced" to learn something. Anyways so I am going to have to change my set up based on this. I did a ton of research and have settled on three set ups. So I am curious to know which setup you think I should use.

I had 3 requirements for my set up. It had to be at least 400grains, shoot at least 265fps and have a FOC at least 11% The Goldtips have more KE but less FOC which is more important for penetration. Which is what I care about most. Penetration.

The bow set up is a 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32. My draw length is 26.5" and its set up at #67 draw weight. The broad head will be a slick trick standard.

#1 Easton Axis.
400's 9.0 GPI.
+/- 0.003" +/- 2.0 grains
125 grain. head
Wt 403 grains.
Fps. 265.
KE 62.86.
FOC 14.05%

#2 Gold Tip Kinetic XT
400s 9.5 GPI
+/- 0.002" +/- 1.0 grains
100 grain head
WT 401 grains
Fps 266
KE 63.02
FOC 12.01%

#3 Carbon Express Mayhem
250s 8.9 GPI
+/- 0.0035", +/- 1.0 grains
125 grain head
WT 400 grains
Fps 266
KE 62.86
FOC 13.77%

Last edited:
Eastons! I have found that the tolerances on the Eastons are better per manufactured batch than the other. Straightness counts into this decision as well.

Sorry cleaned it up so it made sense. I have always used Easton Axis in the past with good results. But am always looking to improve on my set up. Also curious if switching to a 100 grain head that gives me slightly better KE is better and more accurate with a 125 grain head that has a slightly higher FOC.

Um, Goldtips have weights for the front, I have had better luck with my Goldtips, and if you have a problem they take care of it right away, can't say the same for Easton...took a lot longer.

Last year I was doing some bare shaft paper tuning with some different arrows, Axis and Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak Selects. We put a bunch of different arrows through the arrow spinner and I was very surprised to see the Axis arrows wobble - all of them. In fact, I'm convinced that the more you shoot them, the worse they get. The Carbon Express arrows were as straight as could be - all of them. But, both sets of arrows paper tuned my bow perfect. I shot a big whitetail last year with the Axis arrows and to be quite honest, even though they might wobble a bit, I like the nocks better on the Axis than the CE and I lean that way. The CE are a lot more money too.

You do realize the insert on the gold tip kinetics is 24 gr right? I see your FOC on that finished arrow being higher than your numbers indicate.

Any of those will work fine if you do your part, but my preference is also for the Gold Tip. More durable and better customer service.

Do not switch to a 100gr head. KE is virtually meaninless when using as a determining factor of penetration. It measures force at impact. Who cares? You can make high KE with a light and fast arrow but most of that energy will dissipate at impact and will be wasted. You want weight. With weight comes momentum and momentum is hard to stop. Momentum makes good use of that energy and keeps the arrow pushing through AFTER impact. That is what is important and makes penetration!

I seriously wish archery shops and manufacturers would stop quoting KE. It is a very misleading and unimportant figure.

I would not worry to much about the weight forward and arrow weight. You will get more than enough performance even if your arrow is IBO weight just find somthing that tunes good.People worry way to much about arrow weight in IMO. I shoot an IBO arrow at 53# and never have had a problem works great for 3d and hunting penetration has never been an issue. Accuracy is #1.

SDHNTR the FOC numbers came straight from the Gold tip website. That is one of the things I like about the gold tips. They have a heavier insert.

I have decided that my currents arrows (Easton Axis 340's) are curfew.fly cut to 27". I will just adjust my DL to 27" not 26.5" and use my current set up. In 2014 when I can hunt again (2013 I'll be deployed) I really want to try out the Gold Tip Kinetics. Those things look really awesome.

You know what. Never mind. I bough a new release (TRU ball cyclone) and shortened the length all the way down. According to "the book" my DL should he 26.5-27" but looking in the mirror the string is touching my nose, my fist and anchor point is on the dog leg of my cheek bone, my stance isnt too open It looks fine. Also at 50yds my groups were averaging 4". So I think I'll save the money and keep what I got.

Back