Caribou Gear

Where to find shotgun shells

Mule man

Looking for some 12 gauge shells? Anyone no where to look? lead #6,#7.5 or 8 for clays. Also like to find some AA hulls

Last edited:
What area you looking in? I picked up some from Jax 12g 3" HEVI #4 and Winchester BB for waterfowl recently and they were stocked with a lot but they don't ship I'm pretty sure. But shhh don't go telling everyone so they get cleaned out ;)

Rogers has Kent FastLead in number 5.
That's a great load for just about all upland bird shooting.

I picked up a case of that Federal BlackCloud TSS 3" 3/9s last month from Roger's Sporting Goods. They had is on clearance and a $75 rebate...Expensive still but I'm thinking this will be a great turkey/goose load but haven't had a chance to pattern it yet.

Roger's Sporting Goods, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsmans Warehouse, Scheels (store pick up only), probably Academy Sports if you live near one, probably Walmart

Take a look at Ammoseek or a similar search. There is a lot out there available.

Order your trap loads by the flat (10 boxes per flat). It's usually cheaper than a box at a time. If you join a club they often order shells for members once a year from their target supplier at wholesale price. Helps beat the freight costs as they usually work a bulk shipping deal with supplier. Check it out. Might be worth the membership. Ordering 12 gauge shells through my club is slightly cheaper than reloading. AA hulls are pricey. I reload trap shells when I'm running short (or for something to do) and use hulls from cheap shells ordered through the club. They reload fine a couple of times and there's no shortage of fresh ones in the garbage at the club. Right now I use Score shells/hulls from a company out of Carberry, Manitoba. I love their factory ammo and can't beat the price. They get their hulls from Europe and I'm pretty sure either Rio makes them or Rio is getting their hulls from same manufacturer. Rio box says they are made in Tennessee but parent company Rio Tinto of Spain is, as I recall, the world's oldest still operating mining company. Federal blue box trap loads are junk both for shooting and reloading. Quality control issues. Remington hulls reload well. Never had any problems reloading Estate hulls but haven't used them much. I load Claybuster pink wads which are good for both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz shot. The latter crimp prettier but both shoot just fine.

Last edited:
I don’t know where you’re located, but shotgun ammo has been all I can find. Scheels in Billings had a decent selection of lead and steel last week.

Last edited:
I was able to have some shipped to me mid December (Sportsmans.com) but have not seen it available since. Looks like BassPro as of this moment has Remington Game Loads available to ship to address if you can. Only thing I see at a fast glance. Good luck!

Order your trap loads by the flat (10 boxes per flat). It's usually cheaper than a box at a time. If you join a club they often order shells for members once a year from their target supplier at wholesale price. Helps beat the freight costs as they usually work a bulk shipping deal with supplier. Check it out. Might be worth the membership. Ordering 12 gauge shells through my club is slightly cheaper than reloading. AA hulls are pricey. I reload trap shells when I'm running short (or for something to do) and use hulls from cheap shells ordered through the club. They reload fine a couple of times and there's no shortage of fresh ones in the garbage at the club. Right now I use Score shells/hulls from a company out of Carberry, Manitoba. I love their factory ammo and can't beat the price. They get their hulls from Europe and I'm pretty sure either Rio makes them or Rio is getting their hulls from same manufacturer. Rio box says they are made in Tennessee but parent company Rio Tinto of Spain is, as I recall, the world's oldest still operating mining company. Federal blue box trap loads are junk both for shooting and reloading. Quality control issues. Remington hulls reload well. Never had any problems reloading Estate hulls but haven't used them much. I load Claybuster pink wads which are good for both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz shot. The latter crimp prettier but both shoot just fine.

Just a very minor note of correction here, totally unrelated to the OP. I believe Rio ammunition is owned by Maxam, an explosives manufacturer based in Spain. Rio Tinto is a mining and metals company based in Australia.

I don’t know where you’re located, but shotgun ammo has been all I can find. Scheels in Billings had a decent selection of lead and steel last week.
I'm 5 hours from Scheels in Reno,maybe I can order on line. Thank you

Just a very minor note of correction here, totally unrelated to the OP. I believe Rio ammunition is owned by Maxam, an explosives manufacturer based in Spain. Rio Tinto is a mining and metals company based in Australia.
You are correct. And I was too ... in part. Rio Tinto mining of Spain was bought out by Australian interests in 1875. Rio ammunition was spawned from a takeover of a Spanish ammunition maker by Alfred Nobel's MAXAM explosives company. The hulls for Rio shotshells are made by a subsidiary, MAXAM Outdoors. Score company has informed me they acquire their hulls from Europe and their hull bases are identical to Rio, Challenger, Estate, and a few other small ammo manufacturers (including a custom 2.5" shell manufacturer of a hull I made into a key chain). MAXAM made hulls have the signature generic star design on base of brass (see attached Score shell damaged by defective Winchester primer).

I admit to being somewhat embarrassed. I am a mining historian with PhD. It's been several years since I read a monograph on Rio Tinto's colorful history.20201231_002205.jpg

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back