Wanting to try pronghorn hunting for the first time

pnewsome

Im from Ky and im wanting to get into to DIY hunting the west. I drew the Ky. archery bull elk tag two seasons ago and filled my tag on public land without a guide. That hunt struck a fire in me that has me yearning to get out west. Ive decided I wanted to try a solo rifle pronghorn hunt, is there any guaranteed draw tags or OTC options that you guys know of. Im not wanting units or specifics just general ideas. I dont mind backpacking in rough remote country if that makes a difference on tag options. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wyoming would be a great place to start your research. There are plenty of units that are a guaranteed draw. Many will have leftover tags, as well. The units will have tough public access but if you do your research you should have no trouble getting a tag and having a great hunt. Being willing to hike will help. Pick up a doe tag as long as you are making the drive. Antelope are delicious!

Wyoming has a lot of great options with some good 0 point draw units and some excellent 0 point special draw units, and even some good opportunities on leftover tags. I would definitely start there.

Ditto on Wyoming. If you can wait a year or two, buying a preference point can help. Also the special drawing will open up some units with good access to public land but costs a bit more. Spend some time on the web researching units you can draw that have good access. A call to the game and fish department will help answer some questions on how the application process works and what units would best fit your expectations. Good luck.

Ditto on Wyoming. If you can wait a year or two, buying a preference point can help. Also the special drawing will open up some units with good access to public land but costs a bit more. Spend some time on the web researching units you can draw that have good access. A call to the game and fish department will help answer some questions on how the application process works and what units would best fit your expectations. Good luck.

Or buy a point every year for a couple of years and come out every year on leftovers and then go into the draw in good standings in 3 or 4 years :D But, to save on the cost of gas, you could do 2 points and go into the special draw and get an awesome unit.

Try a Wyoming Doe/Fawn hunt while you build points. Several leftover tags are usually available after the draw.
Does is all I hunt anymore for the meat. Shot plenty of bucks thru the years and do not care to take anymore.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It looks like Wyoming is where I'll set my sights.

Hunting pronghorn in WY has a special place in my heart as that was the first big game hunt that I went on. I don't know much about the draw odds and such, but there are usually plenty of leftover tags. A doe tag is a good way to go as they are CHEAP and they are generally easier to draw. You probably don't have to backpack in. There are generally a lot of roads in antelope country and Wyoming has lots of BLM land that offer great car camping opportunities. Doe antelope meat is some of the finest in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back