MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wanting input on this pack if anyone has one.

I was looking at that also. Bought the bag (No frame) then ended up going a different route. Seemed like pretty good construction for the price. Might be a bit louder than others but shouldn’t be a major issue.

What are you planning to use it for? Camping, meat hauler, both?

In this price range your only other option would be something like an osprey. If you’re looking for a pack for elk hunting I’d probably get this pack, for mule deer I’d go osprey.

Assuming backpack hunting.

That said get what you pay for, if you like external get a Barney’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at that also. Bought the bag (No frame) then ended up going a different route. Seemed like pretty good construction for the price. Might be a bit louder than others but shouldn’t be a major issue.

What are you planning to use it for? Camping, meat hauler, both?

Hunting with the ability to meat haul.

Have it, like it for the price. Pretty comfortable overall with quite a few adjustment points. If you have specific questions I'll try and answer. 1,100 reviews and 4+ stars are a decent indicator too.

Also have this pack. Like it for what it is. Have carried out an elk with the frame as well as packed it for a week long hunt. Plenty of space. Also have trained with it with 3 bags of sand it carried the load well, I did not.

I did replace the split rings with cotter pins because it was faster for switching the bag out. The pins and rings also jangle a bit as you walk, Im a bit hard of hearing so it doesn’t bother me much, but I imagine a few strategically chunks of electrical tape would solve this.

I have one that I used for a season and is now a loaner for hauling meat. It was too wide for me to comfortably hunt with. It does very well hauling loads. It doesn't have load lifters, so I added some. I replaced all the pins with grade 8 bolts and nylocks. All in all a good pack.

My friend bought the commander x, I think it is better all around but it's not external like you are looking for.

I have just the Commander frame and I am strongly considering getting the bag as an addition. I have been loading my gear into stuff sacks and using the compression straps to hold it into place for backpacking trips. The frame itself has been awesome. Comfortable, lightweight, and has been a decent load carrier. The straps haven't impeded my shooting at all and like someone else said it has a decent amount of adjustment. My only complaints about it are that it does make a certain amount of noise because of the pin system. It is also interesting to get through some super brushy areas because the frame is rather wide. All in all it has been a good pack and I highly recommend it.

I bought one originally when I was planning my first trip West. I'm 5'7", 150lb frame and it wouldn't adjust well at all to my size. The pin system that keeps the bag on the frame was also very noisy even though I replaced the rings with cotter pins. Decided to just spend the money on a top tier pack. Very satisfied now.

I had and used one for about 4 years. Hauled parts of 3 elk and several deer with it. I will mirror the comments above about the noise/jingling and size. What pushed me to the MR I currently have was the size/comfort combo. The commander hauled meat well but is just to big and noisy to be carried while hunting daily. As far as value though you will be hard pressed to do better if you are on a budget....I think I got mine on for under $100 as there are deals to be had. As far as the bag, the ergos of it weren't my favorite but it is big :) Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

I'll say the same things as everyone else. It's a little noisy and bulky. The bulky-ness of the frame is probably my biggest beef with it. I'm 5'10" and was 210lb last fall and it carried weight really well. I want to try a gun bearer this year because it's not quick to get your rifle out of the pouch/scabbard on the pack.

All in all, I've been fine with it. I don't write home to Mom telling her all about it but I also don't dread strapping it on.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back