Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Turkey down.

Tom

It was opening day in Val Verde county Texas last saturday. I heard a hen and I called to and she came toward me, then a gobbler gobbled too. He followed her to me. When he was behind a bush I raised my gun. Then, he was in the sight strutting. Pretty exciting experience. I pulled the trigger and a 3 1/2 inch shotshell with 2 oz of #5 does the job at 20 yards, it dropped him.

I put him in the oven last night, stuffed with celery, onions and carrots and surrounded by potatoes and covered in bacon, to help, because I skinned him. What a deal!

beard35shell.jpg

spurs125.jpg

fullbird.jpg

intheoven.jpg

Good looking bird Tom!! What did the "hooks" measure, and the beard ?
I would of loved to be around your oven when he was done.:p

My first hunt isn't until the 11th in NC, then the 18th in MD.:)

Nice bird Tom,whats up with the spindly beard?Up here the beards often freeze in the winter and they get shortened or thinned out but I don't think you probably have that problem down there.Congratulations.

The shell is 3 7/16 inches long. I measured it, its longer than 3 1/2 because I shot the bird with its contents and its only an air filled shell now. The beard and spurs are in the freezer and harder to measure, but the spurs were like 1 1/4 and a beard of over 9 inches approx. Its a bench in my yard, where I took the picture, not a park. Next time out there, I'll take a picture of the shot view that I had, but without a turkey, unless I call another one up to the same spot. I have another tag left, 3 used this year, one left, we get four per year with our liscense here.

I was a bit bumbed about a spindly beard, I don't know what happened to it, but I was pretty happy with the spurs and the meals, it came out great.

Back