Tuffpak or SKB

csutton7

Does anyone use the Tuffpak case or the SKB equivalent--the Tuffpack is around $325 and the SKB one is like $75 I think--

Tuffpak was made for hunters to transport their rifles in a case that doesn't look like rifle case and it holds clothes also--I don't have one, but this is what I've read

SKB is a golfers pack that will do the same as the Tuffpak for us hunters is what has been said----

but does it do it as well???..............chris

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/golf/freedom.html

http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/product1.asp?P=TP-1049KYB

This is a post from another site I put up on this. Not an exact answer but it sheds some light on the topic and I did not have to type it all over again!

Your concerns are well founded and good to ask about. I travel very frequently with a rifle and or Archery equipment on the airlines.

They do have the 100% right to cut off or otherwise forcefully open your luggage if they see fit for any reason at all. Nothing we are going to do about that in the near future.

As far as the TSA security unloading your "tuffpak" for inspection that is very possible so I would suggest you only pack a gun(s) in there and maybe a coat or other single bulky item. The worry you expressed in the post is that they would unpack the case to inspect it and you would have to try and re-fit/ re-pack it at the airport. That sounds like a good plan but the situation is far worse then that in reality. Once TSA has the case and unloads it, you cannot touch it again. The repacking must be done by TSA ONLY. You are not allowed to touch your luggage once it's gone past that security line. Now when everything springs out of your suit case after it has been carfully fitted by you in your home, the TSA guy(lady) must figure out how you did it. All this while the line behind you is building and the other people are not very pleasent when in a long que!

I strongly suggest you use a product called "space bags" to pack your things with. I have been using them for years now and the luggage can be inspected and repacked very easily with the individual bags of clothes and gear. I do not own a Tuffpack but have very carefully considered them as a gun case option. It's just my opinion but I prefer to have pad lockable luggage. I then include spare opened locks in my suit case/ gun case with a laminated note asking TSA to kindly relock my case with the spare locks if they found it necassary to cut my locks for inspection.
1530Suitcase-med.jpg

These locks have been used exactly twice now. Once when connecting in Houston when returning from a hunt in Tennessee, and once when I returned from RSA two weeks ago. Both times TSA( maybe customs when returning from RSA?) cut the locks off of my gun case and used the spare lock packed inside the case.

Because of these two events I'm a little more spooked about using luggage with integral locks. Now there is another way to solve this, I think? When you have your luggage inspected by the TSA folks politely insist on having the TSA agent seal the case with the security tape over the opening, or with a TSA serial numberd zip tie (security seal) through the same hole the pad lock is in. I have not had them cut a lock off when sealed this way. The TSA guys have these seals handy at every checkpoint I have been through.
1530TSA_Seal-med.jpg

Oddly enough the rules state the guns must be in a locked case but if they cut the locks off to inspect it and you don't include a spare lock, or if the integral style locks must be drilled out or otherwise broken the case would be left unlocked for the trip. It's not very likely that they will see an obvious looking gun case, Xray it and then still decide to cut the locks off. Another reason to include only a rifle without alot of other "stuff" in the case. Make the Xray equipment work as well as possible so they can clearly see what is inside.
1530Seal-med.jpg

The integral locks of the tuff pack are a real negative in my opinion. The benifit of additional storage inside the Tuff pack is not something I would gain from because I would not want the difficulty of TSA repacking or the Xray equipment looking over "unknown gear" inside that case tempting them to forcefully open it.

For those reasons I'm still using my 15 year old aluminum case made by Impact case company. Not nearly as famous as the tuffpack but I have never needed a single click of scope adjustment with 100s of flights of which half have been to Africa. My poor case is awfully beat up and dented but it's still 100% functional.

very good stuff there JJ--thanks--the locking bit is crucial--I think the SKB has a place for padlocks, but I need to check that out to be sure----chris

yes SKB does have the holes for a padlock---

JJ--you're the first one I know of that has used those space bags--I was always leary of them, but now there's proof that they do indeed work--thanks----chris

interesting thought there SRR--do it like the old days-- once you land in the dark country ya hop a train to get ya to the nearest township and then park your butt in a wagon and head to the concession---I like it---chris

If anyone is interested the guy that sells the tufpack is offering a sweet azz deal on them over on the AR boards. I think $250 for the pack and then another $40 for the "saddle bags" I think its about $200 off retail.

bambistew--I went and bought the pak, sack and saddle--the saddle was a steal--regular $225 and Mims was selling them for $55--made the whole pkg a great deal--now I just need to make some $$$ to get over the pond and knock something down---chris

I think if I ever get to hunt with you JJHACK...I will be using one of your rifles and leave mine at the house :eek: :D

I'm glad someone took him up on that offer. If I didn't already have an SKB case I'd have gotten that deal!

Chris start saving that money... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back