Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Trophy Potential - GoHunt and other publication

utahminer

For all you super scouters out there, I am curious how much weight you put into the listed trophy potential when selecting a unit. If you are deciding between two elk units and one is listed with a trophy potential for 320 and the other 330, does that even factor into your decision? I'm not sure how much thought and quantitative data has gone into these rankings, so I have a hard time believing that trophy potential can be differentiated in such a case. I would love to know your thoughts. Thanks

For all you super scouters out there, I am curious how much weight you put into the listed trophy potential when selecting a unit. If you are deciding between two elk units and one is listed with a trophy potential for 320 and the other 330, does that even factor into your decision? I'm not sure how much thought and quantitative data has gone into these rankings, so I have a hard time believing that trophy potential can be differentiated in such a case. I would love to know your thoughts. Thanks

For such a small difference, definitely not for me. For the most part, I think that guys put way too much emphasis into how good a unit is perceived to be. I'd say knowledge of the unit and how hard you hunt are way, way more important. This year in Wyoming, I saw some really nice mule deer in a general area that could be drawn as a 2nd choice and is ranked rather poorly.

There is not a 200" deer behind every bush nor a 400" elk on the other side of every pine. Most people hunting in a trophy unit never get a shot opportunity on a trophy. Most likely there are some big ones in the unit but for them to get big that means probably a lot of nasty places to hide out far from where most hunters can hike. I look for a high harvest success rate and average age/antler inches/points plus I like few tags and lots of public land. I like seeing animals so if the success rate is high and lots of public land then should be a nice experience. I would rather see 150" mule deer bucks 2 or 3 times per day than hunt for a week seeing only one buck even if the buck is 180". Is good some of us prefer different types of hunts since spreads the application pressure around that way.

I actually look for something similar but opposite Lope. I look for low opportunity, and low success, then age as a second tier filter, knowing or getting to know the unit is still the most important factor is taking possibility to actual results. A unit without a general rifle tag, and with other short opportunities, with low success, but good habitat and hard access seems to be worth investing substantial time into in my book.

The key word is potential.

Potential is just an increased likelihood of killing an animal of that size.

Likelihood is different than successfulhood. <-Made up word

I have a family member that drew an LE elk tag in Utah in a 330 potential area and ended up with a raghorn on the last day of the hunt a few years back.

I have a co-worker that killed a bigger bull on a general elk tag, than he killed the year before on a good LQ tag.

There is only one hunt I can think of that would be a slam dunk and that is the island in the Great Salt Lake that has huge deer running around next to the road, but as a NR I would need 300k plus to buy that tag.

I agree with Lopehunter, I would rather see good deer everyday than see one great deer in a hunt.

I really appreciate the posts. You guys reminded me of a couple good things to consider. I have been excited to draw a good tag and now that its here, I find my self second guessing everything. I am starting to see why there are so many people with max points. Its much easier to just keep accruing points and thinking I will be more ready next year than doing research and making a decision.

I really appreciate the posts. You guys reminded me of a couple good things to consider. I have been excited to draw a good tag and now that its here, I find my self second guessing everything. I am starting to see why there are so many people with max points. Its much easier to just keep accruing points and thinking I will be more ready next year than doing research and making a decision.

I am winding down my hunting career though years ago I decided to hunt often in states that have a preference point system rather than hold out for that really, really good tag. I have heard the sob stories of the hunter waiting a decade or two to decide to pull the trigger on a tag just to find out was a winter kill or poor moisture so antlers are small or the government goes on strike so closed fed lands or a fire shuts down a unit or previously open roads are shut down or some guys take over a bird sanctuary in the unit or a spouse gets sick, or is too hot or cold or rainy or dry, etc. Most of those factors can screw up a hunt and when you wait 10 to 20 years that is a long time to get back in line for your next chance to hunt that unit, in my opinion.

My biggest elk was in unit that takes lots of points but was in the second year of the point system. My biggest mule deer was in a unit that takes lots of points which I built up as waited for the deer herd to bounce back from a couple of winter kills. That deer unit is hit or miss depending on migration which can never predict as apply months prior and I ended up with a good migration. My biggest Coues deer was in a middling unit that can draw every few years. I ate tag soup in the best elk unit I every drew which was a tag for in the rut during archery and part of the issue was unusually warm temperatures kept the bugling nocturnal. Harvest rate was 1/3 what had been for the prior several years.

Find an approach that works for you and good luck on your outdoor adventures!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back