Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Trijicon triangle

howl

Anyone using the triangle post reticle? How's that working out? I'm thinking the mildot with green center dot is most practical but that triangle is intriguing.

Assuming you are talking about the “candlestick” like on the accupoint. The triangle is well suited for fast target acquisition and closer ranges in my opinion. You can make hits with it at distance but the triangle and the post are large enough that they obscure the target significantly for holdovers if necessary. I much prefer the dot for hunting.

I have two Trijicons with the green mildot. The triangle was not appealing to me. Maybe it would be ok for very short range. Also, the best color for me was the green. The dot is awesome for that half hour before sunrise and half hour after sunset !

I have a 1-4x trijicon scope with the the green triangle reticle. It's one of the best investments in firearms I've ever made. Quite simply just go get it. Mines mounted on a AR for dealing with home intruders first. But is also the first gun grabbed to deal with foxes trying to get my ducks. I've shot over 10 foxes with it and at this point have years of experience shooting through that scope. In my opinion it's the best setup possible for an AR in this type of purpose because it does everything well.

I leave it zoomed down to 1x (no zoom) and it functions like a red dot sight. Perfect two eye open, super bright triangle floating around while you clear rooms, no real breakins but have had my alarm get set off accidentally a couple times. Didn't have to shoot but yes, very effective sight for clearing a home. But even better, imagine a red dot that is 15 moa for very fast target acquisition but without changing anything has a .5 moa tip to make very accurate shots if needed. Oh yeah, no batteries or parts to fail! Tritium glows in pure darkness.

Now take your same room clearing close quarters weapon and step outside, zoom up to 4 and you can make accurate shots out to hundreds of yards ( max effective point blank range of 556?). The fact it's a legitimate scope that can do real scope tasks and red dot tasks is insanely useful and cannot be duplicated by other sighting means. I mean a red dot with a flip over magnifier tube can't come close.

Now real world use, it's as useful as you'd think. Half of those foxes I had to get up close and personal with in real thick woods with it zoomed down to 1.5x or so and make real quick shots. Some I've had to shoot while they were running 50-75 yards while tracking in my scope swinging the rifle, others have been walking or standing still well over 100 yards and had to take advantage of both the natural eye drawing of the green triangle along with the accurate point to get them. Some ground hogs getting to close to my buildings foundation met the same fate.

The speed this scope allows you to aquire and be on target is awesome.

The triangle is illuminated by tritium all the time and supplemented by fiber optics to really make it bright with any ambient light. But has a sliding cover that will cover some or all of the fiber optic window to adjust brightness off the triangle during the day. I only cover it during day to make it dimmer and very crisp to sight in, then always leave it uncovered. But it's a rock solid darn near indestructible scope.

Highly highly recommend. Honestly buy the scope and a cheaper AR if you have to and upgrade the AR later.

Hunting rifle? Man that would depend entirely on what rifle caliber and its purpose. Let's say you have a 30-30 or 35 Whelen or shotgun with slugs or even muzzleloader that your max point blank range is going to be 150-250 yards or so, the triangle reticle in a 4x or higher zoom will be more than accurate enough to make shots at those distances and still give you a big benefit for quick shots or in thick brush. Honestly if I was to setup a new rifle like that I would probably buy another 1-4x green triangle trijicon.

If you are talking a gun like my 7mm rem mag that my leupold can dial out to 900 yards for, well no. A long range rifle it would be good to go with a regular crosshair in a higher zoom.

Just seen a pic of a lever gun on a thread on here that has a 1-6x trijicon mounted on it. To me it kind of makes accuracy concerns a mute point. With up to 6x zoom that makes the triangle even more appealing

For that, I’d go mil or MOA reticle (pick your poison). I have two Trijicons with the Mil-Square reticle and love them both.

Works great. Wouldn’t be my first choice for 300 yard shots but it works. Very fast and handy for close in shots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back